Author Topic: Wye Parish Registers  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wye Parish Registers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 May 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the extra information Matt.

Unfortunately, despite looking through the records I haven't as yet found any useful information.

I did find a burial for Margaret Den, at Ickham, on 19th January 1618/19, widow of Richard. Died at Mongeham.

I know you said that Margaret married Michael and so this may not be her burial...... but it might be.Perhaps she married again after Michael died?
This death is some years prior to the probate date of 1624 but I have come across this before.

If I find anymore I will get back to you  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the extra information Matt.

Unfortunately, despite looking through the records I haven't as yet found any useful information.

I did find a burial for Margaret Den, at Ickham, on 19th January 1618/19, widow of Richard. Died at Mongeham.

I know you said that Margaret married Michael and so this may not be her burial...... but it might be.Perhaps she married again after Michael died?
This death is some years prior to the probate date of 1624 but I have come across this before.

If I find anymore I will get back to you  :)

Hi there

The Denne family is quiet a bit family and the burial of Margaret Den widow of Richard which took place in 1619 does fit in my family. This Margaret was the wife of Richard Denne of Ickham who died in 1616 [Will proved in the Consistitory Court of Canterbury]. Margaret was "Margaret Williams" [widow] who was married to Richard Denn of 3 March 1613 in Ickham. Michael himself was the son of Michael Denne and Margaret Dense/Dennse.

Interestingly there are several other Margarets in this family - Michael's father Thomas Denne, Esq was married to Margaret Nasshe [nee Wraith] who was his second wife, and Michael's second eldest son Thomas Denne (1559-1609) [my ancestor] was married to Margaret Pett.

Anyhow going back to the Dense family here are a few more bits of info which might help trace the family.

There are several references to the Dense/Dence name in records at the National Archives including Chancery cases and Wills which might help.

Philip Dence and John Dence are also both mentioned in the following case: Dence v Dence
C 2/Eliz/D12/23 which took place between 1558-1603

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5698930

In 1590 John Dence and Philip Dence of Wye were involved in a dispute with Robert White.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Notes/localcourts/Wye1608.html

Interestingly Philip is described as "Phillip Dence bailiff and minister of the royal manor". As the document is dated 1608 I think this could be the Philip Dence who died in 1611 and therefore could be the Philip who is referred to in Margaret's Will as "my cousin"

See also Dence v Dence
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5698930

There seem to be lots of references to the Dence/Dense family and I think it's now just a case of putting those bits of info together. There is a Will in the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury for a Philip Dense of Wye in 1547 and it's possible this might be Margaret's father.

Matt

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
It's good that you've managed to go so far back Matt and is indeed a matter of fitting all the pieces together.

Here are a few baptisms at Wye.

1591 Robert s/o John Dence
1590 Martha d/o Philip Dence
1570 Amy s/o Richard Dence
1577 William s/o Rychard Dence
1580 Margaret d/o Rychard Dence
1583 Thomasen d/o Rychard Dence
1556 Mary d/o Mychill Dene
1581 Elyzabeth d/o Rychard Dene
1566 Barnabus s/o John Denlle
1560 Thomas s/o Mychil Denn
1540 Rychard s/o Phyllp Denns
1589 Susanna d/o Jhon Dens
1594 Michell d/o John Dens
1546 John s/o Phylypp Dens
1574 Thomas s/o Richard Dense

This burial may also be relevant
1547 Phyllyp Denns

All of the above are as they appear on the info I have and in some cases (s/o and d/o) dubious.

Hope is all helps  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
It's good that you've managed to go so far back Matt and is indeed a matter of fitting all the pieces together.

Here are a few baptisms at Wye.

1591 Robert s/o John Dence
1590 Martha d/o Philip Dence
1570 Amy s/o Richard Dence
1577 William s/o Rychard Dence
1580 Margaret d/o Rychard Dence
1583 Thomasen d/o Rychard Dence
1589 Susanna d/o Jhon Dens
1594 Michell d/o John Dens
1546 John s/o Phylypp Dens
1574 Thomas s/o Richard Dense

This burial may also be relevant
1547 Phyllyp Denns

All of the above are as they appear on the info I have and in some cases (s/o and d/o) dubious.

Hope is all helps  :)

Hiya

Thanks for those. I'm trying to put together a tree for the Dence/Dense family based on what I have so far. I suspect I might have to estimate Margaret's date of birth though.

As I said it would be useful would be if I could find a mention of her in a Will or other document.

Thanks again and I'll see how these fit together.

Matt

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
That's ok Matt and I wish you luck. You've done well to get that far back and may yet sort Margaret out.

If I can help with any other records on the family just get back to me.
Best wishes HL

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
That's ok Matt and I wish you luck. You've done well to get that far back and may yet sort Margaret out.

If I can help with any other records on the family just get back to me.

Hi

Thanks for the help. I have been looking through the list you sent and I spotted the following entries which may or may not be relevant:

I say this because we also have the Denn/Denne family in Barham, Kingston, Ickham and Womenswold. As I mentioned before Margaret Dence/Dense/Dennse was married to Michael Denne in about 1556. I know that Michael Denne and Margaret had a daughter named Mary who was born aft 1557 in Kent, however I don't know where she was born. She could be the Mary mentioned in this list though. Also they had a son named Thomas (my ancestor) who was born about 1559. Thomas lived in Ickham, Kent and is described as "of Ickham" in his Will. I had thought that he was born in Ickham, but he could well be the Thomas who was born in Wye in 1560 in the above list. What do you think?

I'm not sure about the reference to "1566 Barnabus s/o John Denlle", was that how it was written? Was this a transcript of the original register? The name Barnabus doesn't feature anywhere else in the Denne family and I don't know if Denlle is a variation of Denne or Dence.

Can you let me know if there are any marriages for the name Dence/Dense or Denn/Denne in Wye between 1550 and 1600? It would be really great if I could find the marriage of Michael Denne and Margaret Dense there as that would confirm the connection.

Thanks again for the help

Matt

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I can't find a baptism for Mary.  The fact that you know the family came from Barham, Kingston, Ickham and Womenswold...... and of course Wye...... does not rule out any other villages within a reasonable radius. Probably all of the parish records in that area need to be examined.

Therefore, yes, Thomas (of Ickham) could very well be Thomas born 1560 in Wye.

As for the surname Denlle it doesn't seem to be pronounceable as it stands and so the ll could be incorrect letters. The records I'm looking at are transcribed and I was thinking that an s could conceivably look like an l. It is incredible how some surnames change over the years and some priests seemed to spell names in bizarre ways.

I can't find a marriage for Michael and Margaret in either Wye or Ickham.

Marriages at Wye are....

1587 Rob Dann/ Elizabeth Downe
1555 Jn Denns /Anelyn Palmer
1584 Richard Dens/Johanna Bynge
1583 Steven Danne/ Amy Sharp
1561 William Danne/ Edith Hall
1589 Bart Dane / Gertrude Read

I included a variety of surnames as who knows how the priest interpreted the surname.
Best wishes HL

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I can't find a baptism for Mary.  The fact that you know the family came from Barham, Kingston, Ickham and Womenswold...... and of course Wye...... does not rule out any other villages within a reasonable radius. Probably all of the parish records in that area need to be examined.

Therefore, yes, Thomas (of Ickham) could very well be Thomas born 1560 in Wye.

As for the surname Denlle it doesn't seem to be pronounceable as it stands and so the ll could be incorrect letters. The records I'm looking at are transcribed and I was thinking that an s could conceivably look like an l. It is incredible how some surnames change over the years and some priests seemed to spell names in bizarre ways.

I can't find a marriage for Michael and Margaret in either Wye or Ickham.

Marriages at Wye are....

1587 Rob Dann/ Elizabeth Downe
1555 Jn Denns /Anelyn Palmer
1584 Richard Dens/Johanna Bynge
1583 Steven Danne/ Amy Sharp
1561 William Danne/ Edith Hall
1589 Bart Dane / Gertrude Read

I included a variety of surnames as who knows how the priest interpreted the surname.

Hi

Thanks for those details.

Matt

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
You're welcome  :)
Best wishes HL