Author Topic: Albion House, 27 Oxford Road, Newbury  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Albion House, 27 Oxford Road, Newbury
« on: Monday 01 May 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
The building named "Albion House" that stood on the site of 27 Oxford Road, Newbury, was demolished some years ago and the site re-developed.  In WW1 it was used by the Red Cross as an auxiliary hospital and before that, during the 1850s-60s, it had been a school.  I am looking for a picture of the building and have searched the net but have not been lucky so far.  Any ideas of where I might be lucky enough to find such a picture, please?
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albion House, 27 Oxford Road, Newbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
There might be something within this collection:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k0v/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
Albion House is still there.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Now I AM confused!  I read the following from the "West Berkshire War Memorials" website "Albion House was on the south side of Oxford Street; the site has been redeveloped, but a terracotta plaque marking the previous building's wartime use has been retained in the new building", and StreetView seems to show a large modern development on the site.  The "Albion House" I'm searching for had an address that was also rendered as "Oxford Road" as well as "Oxford Street", Speenhamland.  Newbury Chap, am I looking in the wrong place?

Jomot: thank you for your suggestion, too  :).
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid your confusion is my fault!  I will edit the page you refer to ASAP!

I once believed that the house was gone but have since been put right.

Albion House is still there, but the building to the east that was combined with it had been demolished. In its place is an entrance with rooms over that gives access to the rear of Albion House, where an extension has been built to provide more space for Albion House's current role as offices for a company called Jaywing.

The plaque marking the WW1 use as a hospital is located on the rebuilt section - hence my original confusion.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Ah ha - I was looking past the roundabout, so now I have the correct building.  Thank you, Newbury Chap, for sorting this one.   :)

It looks to have survived its varied history pretty well.  I can see that the Albion House Academy - which was presided over by a Mr John Moss to board boys "liberally" on "moderate" terms and ran for "over 30 years" - was well-housed.  (Quotes from newspaper advertisements placed by the school in the "Reading Mercury".)

At least one of my family attended the school and we still have his copybook, though little idea of what happened to the boy himself later on.