Author Topic: HENRY SPENCER, Esq.,b.c.1713, of THORPE (Surrey),m. Ann LEIGH  (Read 3481 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: HENRY SPENCER, Esq.,b.c.1713, of THORPE (Surrey),m. Ann LEIGH
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Victoria,

I think you may have taken what I posted wrongly.

Quote from you;
It appears you may well have Solved Henry's parentage! Looks like Thomas & Elizabeth SPENCER were his folks, considering that Tabitha WAS definitely his sister (as shown by your burial records)!!

What I have is;
Tabitha buried 30 July 1769 was a Sister of Henry
Thomas who married Elizabeth Wine may be a brother of theirs as he named a Daug Tabitha 1748.

So we need Baptisms for a Henry/Tabitha and Thomas Spencer c 1710-1730ish maybe to establish their Parents names.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
THANK You so much for all these Links! I will check them out thoroughly!! (& like you say, take w/ a "grain of salt" & investigate them on my own!!).

Ok thanks again,

Vienna

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Oh Look---already when I clicked on just 1 of the Links you posted....

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10434920

It states in the excerpted info the below.....

"Henry Spencer, gent late of East Dereham, Norfolk and now of Thorpe, Surrey and Ann Spencer his wife."

And THAT finally PROVES Henry WAS first of NORFOLK and Later of SURREY!!! (there was such confusion over the Thorpe,Surrey business, when Really what occurred was a person mixing-up the Thorpe, Norfolk and other Norfolk towns Henry was "of" and lived "in", with the later inheritance of the land in Thorpe, SURREY, by Henry's wife, and which caused them both to relocate into Surrey!!

So this document you found mentions him being OF Norfolk, but Now of Surrey! Yey--confusion, ex- plained! Thanks so much, Vienna

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
HI Trish!

Thanks for correcting me! YES i Did read your posting wrong---thinking you meant Thomas was Henry's Dad as opposed to his brother--My BAD--sorry!!!

Well I shall continue the hunt....!!

thanks for All your help!

Vienna

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
Now this may be a long shot;

As those Burials are in the Chancil (chancel) in St Marys, Thorpe, Surrey it may be an idea to try and email the Church to see if they have more info on the Family.

From googling Chancil;
In church architecture, the chancel is the space around the altar, including the choir and the sanctuary (sometimes called the presbytery), at the liturgical east end of a traditional Christian church building. It may terminate in an apse.

So obviously a very prominent Family to be Buried within the Church.

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/thorpe/

If you havent looked at the Burials I posted for you on FreeREg this is what it says about Tabithas 1769 Burial;
Sister of Henry. In the aisle close by the chancel.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 May 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish for your latest! You are a dear! Great idea and 1 i have actually used before, but by calling a cemetery, not the church, as my Spencers were Said to have been buried in the OLD PLAINFIELD CEMETERY in Plainfield, IL & when i contacted them, the gal there actually went out into the graveyard, took photos(!) of all 7 headstones, and through that I got all the info I'd been chasing for years, on my great-great Grandfather Spencer, and his kids!

So you are Right!---calling or emailing various entities--like libraries, churches, cemeteries (esp. to speak to the Sexton (the one who keeps all the burial cards w/info like who paid for the plot, or other family info on them) can be really helpful!

So thanks--i will certainly contact that church in Surrey!!! Take care, Vienna  :  )

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Good luck Vienna and let us know if if it works out and you get extra info :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 May 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Just being curious, have you managed to link these Spencers directly to yours  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk