Author Topic: Locating records of a 1775-1787 British Marine Pvt  (Read 597 times)

Offline Aus325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Locating records of a 1775-1787 British Marine Pvt
« on: Monday 01 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it must lay carefully hidden within the UK National Archives catalogue in some form, perhaps in an Adm36 administrative document, or a WO25 Succession list, but I have to say that the website is the most frustrating, confusing, ambiguous, and nearly as circular leading website as a Social welfare department. The search engine seems to have been carefully designed to give you the most obscure and irrelevant results with references to the most random person, with their will, and their pending legal actions etc etc..... when all you want to find is a general list covering the right period of years, with the right Company of Marines. One minute you're in the free digital downloads section, and you think you may be getting close....a click of the mouse and you're unknowingly bounced back into the general section against the brick wall where you need to pay a non refundable £8.40 to see if that list (which was a wild guess anyway) happens to be the right one, and might happen to contain a one line reference to the person you're looking for. Not that they will give you that one line of course. After waiting for a month for them to respond, you'd then have to pay a researching fee to have someone copy that one line for you! 

How does one go about finding some basic information (such as the age) of a British Marine Pvt of the 21st Plymouth Company who likely served at the siege of Boston in the American war of Independance  1775? I know I can download all sorts of data from the National Archives on how many napkins the commander, Major Pitcairn ordered prior to battle but that's not going to help me

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating records of a 1775-1787 British Marine Pvt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
The answer is to ask someone to go to the records for you.  Not every record is digitised and downloadable!

You should find them in the relevant initial letter register in this ADM/158 series.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C27220

A request on here for someone to go look at the record for you next time they are there often produces results.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Aus325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your patience with my rant.

I have already paid for a page check to see if my required record might be in ADM 158/247. If they get back to me with a positive, I might try posting to see if someone would be kind enough to check it for me next time they are at the archives. I have several other page checks in the sytems as well so hopefully one might pay off.

We have a great reference library here in Sydney with more than 10,000 reels of film in the AJCP copied from the UK PRO and numerous other institutions and sources in the UK and Ireland, but unfortunately they only have copied those with direct relevance to Australia and it's history. So not all the Military records are present here, mainly those relating to Australia or Regiments who served here

Offline Aus325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Well it looks like there may be something on my ancestor in:

Adm96/153 - Effective and Subsistence Lists, Musters, &c. of Non Commissioned Officers & Private Men serving in North America 1772-1780. Pvt Alexander aka John McCarthy should appear in the 1st or 2nd Battalion of MARINES at Boston under Maj. John Pitcairn at the charge of Bunker Hill - Apr-Jun 1775. 

There may also be a specific record  in WO12/3778/folio 2
Description: 21st Foot 1st Battalion Date:   1769 - 1783

If someone happens to be going to the National Archives and has time I wonder could they take a look and snap an image or two on a USB stick if there's anything that looks like him it would be so much appreciated. I'd love to be doing this myself but we just don't have these records in Australia