Author Topic: James Wood 1843-1918 Cullen Banffshire  (Read 6536 times)

Offline knights6lb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wood 1843-1918 Cullen Banffshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
I am not sure who is going to receive this reply so I will write as if to all.     JW. was born 21.08.1843, married Christina McKenzie 15.10.1874 and they had 13 children - 4 girls etc.     He died in Cullen 05.05.1918 and had been a fish curer selling inter alia, salted herring in barrels to Russia.    Cullen is located on the north facing Moray Firth coast midway between Banff and Buckie and is indeed where Cullen Skink (smoked haddock soup) comes from.     In answer to one query, I have trace of him in all census returns except 1901 but his wife and 9 children were at home - hence the mystery.

BAK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
In answer to one query, I have trace of him in all census returns except 1901 but his wife and 9 children were at home - hence the mystery
With a CV like that, he was probably away in Russia or somewhere on business on census night.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline knights6lb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have heard worse suggestions but there is no family tradition, nor is it mentioned in his obituary/eulogy.     Not withstanding, thanks for the suggestion   BAL

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
It may be that he slipped through the net (no pun intended) on the night of the census. Away somewhere doing whatever. It did happen.

My great grandfather is "missing" from one of the Scottish Census records and my theory is that he was away poaching in the Sidlaw Hills  :-X :-X that night.

Just have to accept the fact that he was not recorded.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 May 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yup!
My ancestors were not at home with their kids on census night 1851.
I used to think that they were down at the local pub until, I unearthed some information on their older children.
I can't prove it of course but, I'm 100% certain they were in Ireland.

James Wood
There are many newspaper articles relating to your James Wood, including an obituary.
He was well known in every city and fish market in the country, which means that he could have been anywhere on census night.

There are also many articles on his children, and I spotted a few obits for his sons, including Sir Murdoch McKenzie Wood who died in Oct 1949.

Also:
Military Funeral for son  Col John B Wood who died in Bathgate in 1927
Son David Wood who died in Borneo 1947
Son James Wood who died in Glasgow in 1947
Son George Wood who died in Montreal in 1946

Do you have all the family information?
At the time of his 1918 death,  the obit for James Wood snr states that his wife died about 9 moths previously and that he was survived by 9 sons and 2 daughters