Author Topic: Clara Caroline Ellen Brown born 30/3/1854 in Leeds  (Read 682 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clara Caroline Ellen Brown born 30/3/1854 in Leeds
« on: Monday 01 May 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
According to West Yorkshire baptism records, this child was the daughter of Henry Frederick Brown and his wife Sarah, born 30/3/1854, and was baptised at St Peter, Leeds 1/5/1854.

But I have been unable to find a birth registration for her as such. The nearest possible suspect is a Caroline Helen Brown whose birth is registered in the 2nd quarter 1854 in Leeds (where Clara was born) but for whom I cannot see any later records. And there are no registrations for 'female' Browns.

I am not helped by the fact that Clara appears on the 1861 census as Eliza!! But is definitely not the Ann Elizabeth Brown or Elizabeth Ann Brown registered 2nd quarter 1854 in Leeds, neither having a Henry or Sarah as parent.

is it possible to find Clara's birth registration? Could she be Caroline Helen?

many thanks
John

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Caroline Ellen Brown born 30/3/1854 in Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Caroline Helen's mother's maiden name was Wood - GRO Index.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Otley Dec qtr 1847 Sarah Wood & Henry Brown

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks but, forgive my apparent ignorance, I don't see any sign of maiden names for birth registrations when I bring up the GRO Index page for Caroline's birth registration. Though Wood be correct if Caroline=Clara. What am I missing?

Also, according to West Yorkshire banns and marriages, Sarah Wood was marrying a Benjamin Barker in Otley in 1847; while Henry Brown married Elizabeth Guest, 
The researcher who I am helping with this research has spent a while trying to find the marriage of Henry Wood to Sarah Wood without any luck - though its the daughter he is really interested in and her birth registration he is really struggling with.

Thanks
John

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Mother's maiden name comes from the new facility at the GRO - whereby, having registered (it is free) you are able to search the birth indexes and mothers' maiden name has been added.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
To get a maiden name you have to use the new GRO index, its free but you have to register.
www.gro.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census entry referred to is from Brighton (RG9/594 fo108 p17), and gives Henry as aged 44, born in Droxford, Hants and Sarah aged 26, born in Brighton. If the census age is correct, this makes the 1847 marriage in Otley rather unlikely as Sarah would have only been about 12.

There are 4 children in the household, born in Leeds, Ipswich, Brighton and Leeds; Henry's occupation of Equestrian Clown (yes, really) sounds like the sort of thing that could take him all over the country. The new GRO indexes have possible birth entries for all of the children in the right places with the mother's maiden name WOOD, so I think it's quite likely that Caroline Helen will be the one you're looking for.

I did try to look for her parents' marriage as well, but with no luck. Maybe they married in Scotland or Ireland? Or never got round to a formal ceremony? Or did they use alternative names too? Maybe other census entries would shed some light on this. Another possibility might be that Sarah was a widow when she married Henry, so was indexed under a different surname.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
The 3 younger siblings on 1861 census all checked on GRO site and all have Wood as the mothers maiden name which seems to confirm you have the birth entry for Clara.

However, I suspect that Henry Frederick Brown and Sarah Wood weren't legally married - I note that in 1861 census he is some 18 years older than her.

A Sarah Wood is on the 1841 census aged 7 (bc.1834 - in 1861 she's bc.1835 Brighton) in Brighthelmstone (Brighton) with parents Robert and Caroline which could well be her.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
A Sarah Wood is on the 1841 census aged 7 (bc.1834 - in 1861 she's bc.1835 Brighton) in Brighthelmstone (Brighton) with parents Robert and Caroline which could well be her.

Annette

They are living next door to Henry & Sarah in 1861  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk