Author Topic: St Michael the Archangel, Church Street, Alcombe Parish Registers - WILLIAMS  (Read 932 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

I've recently discovered that my father, PETER LEMUEL WILLIAMS, and his mother SARAH ELIZABETH WILLIAMS, were baptised at St Michael the Archangel in 1935.

My dad was 4 years old whilst his mum was an adult baptism.

I would be very grateful if SKS is able to check to see if my grandfather, WILLIAM LEMUEL WILLIAMS was also baptised in this church around that time please.

At the time involved, my grandfather 'Lem' worked for GWR and so the family were moving between Swansea and Minehead, for his work on the railways.

I understand the Alcombe Parish Records are held at the Somerset Heritage Centre.

Reference number   D\P\alc/2/1/5
Date                           1921-1970

If it were possible to provide copies of the Baptism entries, that would be the icing on the cake.

Many thanks,
Lynda
QLD, Australia
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael the Archangel, Church Street, Alcombe Parish Registers - WILLIAMS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Have you considered writing to the church to see if they still hold baptism records for 1935?  Below is a link to the church's contact page.

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/alcombe-st-michael-the-archangel/

Are you absolutely certain that your father was 4 when he was baptised?  I have found the family in the 1939 register living in Swansea.

Going by the birth year in the 1939 I think the below is likely to be your father's birth record:-

Births Dec 1929   
Williams    Peter L    Jones    Neath    11a   1370

There is a marriage in the March quarter of 1928 which I think is probably his parents:-

Marriages Mar 1928 
JONES    Sarah E    Williams    Llanelly    11a   1430   
WILLIAMS    William L    Jones    Llanelly    11a   1430

The only way to be certain is to obtain the certificates from the GRO website:-

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You will need to register and then follow the instructions to order certificates.

Unless you already have these certificates?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael the Archangel, Church Street, Alcombe Parish Registers - WILLIAMS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide

Yes -- I have all those certificates for birth, marriage etc, plus have an original copy of the baptism certificates handed out on the day to my dad and his mum.

I had hoped some SKS may have been able to pop into the local archives to check the series I mentioned for any other Williams baptisms around that same period but if not, I'll email the chrch and check if they are able to have a look for me.

Cheers
Lynda
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell