Author Topic: Elizabeth Stydolfe of Norbury and the Hussey family  (Read 984 times)

Offline Robert Stedall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Stydolfe of Norbury and the Hussey family
« on: Monday 01 May 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
The Stydolfe an Hussey families intermarried on several occasions during the 16th and 17th Centuries, but there is one area of confusion. John Stydolff b. 1500 married three times. By his second wife Jane Gyle  (the date of whose marriage I do not know, he had at least seven children. His eldest daughter Elizabeth Stydolfe married John Birch , a Baron of the Exchequer on 28 July 1549. They had a daughter Helen Birch, b. 1553 d. bef. 3 2 1557, who married Sir Charles Hussey (The Elder) of Honington on 6 6 1582, by whom they had two sons.  This suggests that Elizabeth Stydolfe was born not later than c. 1534.

Elizabeth's brother Thomas Stydolfe was born in 1550 at Norbury and died there in 1604. He married Elizabeth Hussey b. 1550 d. 1609 a first cousin twice removed of Sir Charles Hussey above. I do not have a date for their marriage, but their eldest daughter, Elizabeth Stydolfe was b. 1574.

It would then appear that Elizabeth Hussey, brother George Hussey, b. abt 1551 married Thomas's brother Elizabeth at the same time.  This Elizabeth is reported as being the d. of John Stydolff and Jane Gyle. The issue is: Was this the same Elizabeth who had married John Birch in c. 1534. I think this is very unlikely, because John Birch lived until 1581  and remained in close contact with the Stydolfe family. It would seem that John Stydolff and Jane Gyle had two daughters  named Elizabeth, one b. bef. 1534, who married John Birch in 1549 (and may have died after Helen's birth) and one born in about 1552, who married George Hussey.

If anyone has a better explanation than this, I would be grateful.

Incidently, I have fairly comprehensive Stydolfe family tree if this is of interest.

Offline d-a-lansley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Stydolfe of Norbury and the Hussey family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
I am researching the manor of Thornby in Northants and trying to trace the families.
In 1524 a John Stydolfe died and the manor of Thornby ( and others) passed to his son Anthony at the age of 3. If John had 3 wives it may help when one realises he had a son Anthony in 1521 and, according to a pedigree in the Visitations a daughter, Frances.
Anthony was a ward of Thomas Cromwell.
Anthony's will in 1554 is available on Ancestry ( prerog court Canterubury) This I found difficult to read but it mentions John Stydolfe again but is he the same or a later John ? and mentions the manors of Thornby and Cold Ashby but I ccan't tell who inherits them
Any help much appreciated
David Lansley