Author Topic: SHERET SHERRET SHERIT SHEARIT SHERRIT Kincardineshire & Angus, Scotland  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

This is my paternal grandmother's (deceased) maiden name.

The surname is relatively uncommon in its various forms. As far as I know it's only really been found in North East Scotland and Northumberland near the coasts in both.

My branch stem from Kincardineshire and Angus (aka Forfarshire), Scotland.

The furthest back I've gotten is a James Sheret b.1753 he married an Ann Clark 1778 in Bervie, Kincardineshire.

The vast majority of my Sherets are from the following parishes of Kincardineshire; Fetteresso, Benholm and Bervie.

They later appear in Angus (Forfarshire), particularly the parishes of Logie Pert, St Cyrus, Inverkeilor mostly in the later part of the 1800s.

Have seen a lot of various spellings for this name.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: SHERET SHERRET SHERIT SHEARIT SHERRIT Kincardineshire & Angus, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
I'm about 90% sure a Catherine Sherret is my 4xs great grandmother. She married a William Jolly in St Cyrus in 1811 and gave birth to a son David not long after the marriage (he's been talked about to death on Rootschat!). Just in case there is a link along the way I've listed what I know about her below...
A Catherine Sherret marries/remarries? in St Cyrus in 1823 this time to a Robert Ritchie - they can be found on the 1841 census living in Gourdon - she's showing age 65 in 1841.  From this Catherine's death certificate (1856 - age 89) her parents are given as a William Sherret (shoemaker) and a Catherine Souter (this couple married in Bervie in 1763 - "William Shurat and Katherin Souttar"). Her sister Christina died in 1858 (age 81) same father details but mother listed as a Margaret Souter - however I'm sure the mother was a Katherine as at SP there are eight children showing born to this couple in the late 1700s in Garvock including a Christina of the correct age and a Katherine.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
I'm about 90% sure a Catherine Sherret is my 4xs great grandmother. She married a William Jolly in St Cyrus in 1811 and gave birth to a son David not long after the marriage (he's been talked about to death on Rootschat!). Just in case there is a link along the way I've listed what I know about her below...
A Catherine Sherret marries/remarries? in St Cyrus in 1823 this time to a Robert Ritchie - they can be found on the 1841 census living in Gourdon - she's showing age 65 in 1841.  From this Catherine's death certificate (1856 - age 89) her parents are given as a William Sherret (shoemaker) and a Catherine Souter (this couple married in Bervie in 1763 - "William Shurat and Katherin Souttar"). Her sister Christina died in 1858 (age 81) same father details but mother listed as a Margaret Souter - however I'm sure the mother was a Katherine as at SP there are eight children showing born to this couple in the late 1700s in Garvock including a Christina of the correct age and a Katherine.
Jen

Hi Jen,

Struggling to make links with this one. Although I do have Sheret's in St Cyrus in the same era.

I have a James Sheret b.1753 in St Cyrus. I believe his parents to be a James Sheret (Shiret) and Elisabeth Grieg. This couple married in 1750 in St Cyrus. Which means if they had a son, William, he would be too young to marry in 1763. This is unless I have James b.1753 down as having the wrong mother. I can't seem to verify it due to lack of records available from this time. There probably is a connection somewhere but I can't find the link. James b.1753' record just states that his father was also called James.

James b.1753 married an Ann Clark and they had a number of children. One of whom was called William b.1784, so theoretically this boy could've been named after a family member of James. All speculation though.

Interestingly enough I also have Jolly's in my tree. The Sheret side of my family is through my father's side. The Jollys appears in my mother's side.

My 3x g-grandmother Elizabeth Valentine b.1830 Marykirk had an illegitimate child with a John Jolly. The child was named David Jolly b.1849, Marykirk. Elizabeth later married a James D Ewan and had a number of children with him, including my 2x g-grandmother Helen Ewan. I haven't researched much into David and John Jolly yet though.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
I'm still chasing the parents of William Jolly born later part of the 18th C probably St Cyrus, probably to a father called David, definately married a Catherine Sherit in 1811. I downloaded a birth for a William Colly - St Cyrus 1777...witness looks to be a James Sherit - living Miltonhaven. Do you have any Sherits living Miltonhaven by any chance.
Thanks
Jen

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
I'm still chasing the parents of William Jolly born later part of the 18th C probably St Cyrus, probably to a father called David, definately married a Catherine Sherit in 1811. I downloaded a birth for a William Colly - St Cyrus 1777...witness looks to be a James Sherit - living Miltonhaven. Do you have any Sherits living Miltonhaven by any chance.
Thanks
Jen

Hi Jen,

My 6x great-grandfather was a James Sherrat (and various spellings) his wife was Elizabeth Grieg. They married in St Cyrus in 1750. Their son, my 5x great-grandfather was born in St Cyrus in 1753, also named James. I've attached a snip of his baptism record. I can't make out where James and Elizabeth resided. Looks like "Polly...".

Another son of James Sherrat and Elizabeth Grieg was Alexander Sherrat born 1759. According to his baptism record (also attached to this post) he resided in Milton. I have no further evidence to link, however, I feel that it is somewhat likely that it's either James Snr or James Jr named as the witness in your William Colly's baptism record.

I have no known location for James Jnr between his birth in 1753 and his marriage to Ann(e) Clark in Bervie in 1778. It's entirely possible he was in Miltonhaven the year prior given the location of his parents, but have no way of proving this.

Side note regarding Miltonhaven. There is only a caravan park there now with the same name. The actual village was washed away in a storm in the 1790s. There are a few articles about it online.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liviani,
I feel like I'm working on a jigsaw puzzle without a picture! I've just discovered that a list of inhabitants exists for St Cyrus in the year 1798. I think it's contained within the Kirk Session Minutes (the ref numbers are the same). So, if they ever come online at SP I might glean some information. You have to be the eternal optimist if this is your hobby!
Jen