Author Topic: Help finding information on Nelson Hodgkins  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Danweider

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding information on Nelson Hodgkins
« on: Monday 01 May 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Mom, has asked me to post on here as she is after information on her granddad Nelson Hodgkins. He served in the war, my mom reckons WW2. She is unsure on any dates which I know will make finding information a bit difficult. He was married to Mary Hodgkins, who were actually first cousins. I know at one point they lived in Stourport.

Any bit of help/information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Daniel.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding information on Nelson Hodgkins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi the marriage of Nelson Hodgkins to a Mary P Hodgkins was March qtr 1942 Kidderminster, his parents could be Sylvanus Hodgkins who married a Margaret Rafferty March qtr 1920 Wolstanton,  the birth of Nelson looks to be March qtr 1920 Wolstanton 6b 258 mmn Rafferty
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel

There's this marriage in the index, you can find it at www.freebmd.org.uk

Marriages Mar 1942

Hodgkins    Mary P    spouse Hodgkins    Kidderminster    6c   351
Hodgkins    Nelson    spouse Hodgkins    Kidderminster    6c   351

You'll have to buy the certificate for £9.25 from the General Register Office to see more details

www.gro.gov.uk

There's quite a few Nelson Hodgkins in the index if that isn't the correct one.

Have you tried to find him on the 1939 register?

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

There are only 2 with that name, he was possibly born 1920

and a possible death in 1985

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZM-71GX

Hope this helps
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Danweider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi the marriage of Nelson Hodgkins to a Mary P Hodgkins was March qtr 1942 Kidderminster, his parents could be Sylvanus Hodgkins who married a Margaret Rafferty March qtr 1920 Wolstanton,  the birth of Nelson looks to be March qtr 1920 Wolstanton 6b 258 mmn Rafferty
Keyboard86

Hi, thank you for your reply. I showed this to my mom, and she said yes march is his birthday so she thinks the information you have provided is correct!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86

Hi, thank you for your reply. I showed this to my mom, and she said yes march is his birthday so she thinks the information you have provided is correct!

;D OK I think this is him, but March qtr (quarter)  means he could have had his birth registered January/February or March?!
Keyboard86

Offline Danweider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86

;D OK I think this is him, but March qtr (quarter)  means he could have had his birth registered January/February or March?!
Keyboard86

Yeah my mom thinks March, we are trying to find out our family tree, on the gypsy, side as my nan didn't keep in touch with them which means my mom, wouldn't have either. I really would like to know who I am related to. As I live in Kidderminster, I think my traveller side of the family live in Stourport, just don't know how to go by finding them without seeming nuts ha ha.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
If your Mum can confirm I think he had a sister Dinah b 14th June 1921 Kidderminster who married a William I Marshall March qtr 1944 Kidderminster,  her death was as Dinah Marshall born 14th June 1921 died September qtr 1993 Kidderminster aged 72
Keyboard86

Offline Danweider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
If your Mum can confirm I think he had a sister Dinah b 14th June 1921 Kidderminster who married a William I Marshall March qtr 1944 Kidderminster,  her death was as Dinah Marshall born 14th June 1921 died September qtr 1993 Kidderminster aged 72
Keyboard86

My mom says unfortunately she can't confirm as she doesn't know any one older than her nan and grandad. I guess this will make things slightly harder. But to be honest i think this is correct because I clicked the link dawnsh posted and the name Dinah, did appear on there.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again,  with the parents of Nelson and Dinah possibly being a Sylvanus Hodgkins and Margaret Rafferty,  Sylvanus born 6th March 1896 died September qtr 1973 Kidderminster, there is a Army record for him in 1919 aged 22 b Worcestershire in the Labour Corps, 456th Agricultural Company he was living in Stoke on Trent.

A birth on Freebmd shows a Sylvanus Hodgkins registered March qtr 1896 Ledbury 6a 421, the same reference on the GRO Index shows a SYLVANNE Hodgkins March qtr 1896 No mothers maiden name shown, which suggests he was illegitimate?
Keyboard86

PS I can see in 1901 families in Ledbury who have occupations such as Pedlar,  they record themselves as surname HODGKISS