Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Need help with locating letters with accents on computer please  (Read 1982 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Need help with locating letters with accents on computer please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the same can be done in other versions of Windows, but in Windows 7 I have put a pinned link to the Character Map in my Start menu - saves having to remember stuff!

Arthur,

Have to profess I don't understand the above at all  ::)

I have a computer using xp & laptop using vista.

I bought a brand new windows 10 laptop in Feb 2016 & have yet to try it out....

The first step is to find the Character Map program - for me in Windows 7 it's at C:\Windows\System32\charmap.exe  I don't know for certain, but I suspect it will have the same file name in other versions of Windows, though the folder may be different.

(In fact mine also has another version at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\charmap.exe - I think this is because Windows 7 comes with parallel versions of some things to match user preferences and/or hardware. If you have two versions and aren't technically minded, I don't think it matters which you choose.)

Once you've found the file, right-click it and select Properties, and the Description should confirm that it is indeed the Character Map. Close Properties, then right-click it again and select Pin to Start Menu, and a shortcut will appear in the upper part of the Start menu. You can drag the shortcuts around in the upper part of the menu to put them in the order you want. This pinning process can be used with any program file.

Another alternative, if you prefer, is to pin it to the Taskbar (along the bottom of the screen) instead.

If you've never used the Character Map, basically you select a font at the top, and then you get a grid of all possible characters. Highlight what you want, then Select, then Copy, and it's available to paste wherever you want.

Mostly I don't bother changing the font - I leave it set to Arial, and then change it in the destination document if necessary. For posting on forums etc the font selection has no effect anyway, as the fonts are changed with formatting codes instead.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthur,

Will need to try that out later as I have to go out for now.

Seems a bit too technical for me though  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Annie~

If you just search for character map, it should come up. Click on it to open. It's icon will show in the task bar. Right click on it there and select Pin to taskbar.

It looks like this:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
If you just search for character map, it should come up. Click on it to open. It's icon will show in the task bar. Right click on it there and select Pin to taskbar.

That sounds a lot easier - never thought of that!
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks,

Lots of different choices but I think Reply #3 is perfect for both my computer & laptop.

I don't know if the same can be done in other versions of Windows, but in Windows 7 I have put a pinned link to the Character Map in my Start menu - saves having to remember stuff!

Arthur,

Have to profess I don't understand the above at all  ::)

I have a computer using xp & laptop using vista.

I bought a brand new windows 10 laptop in Feb 2016 & have yet to try it out.

All my FH is on the 2 I use although most is on my computer (which doesn't have internet), needs upgraded & the thought of transferring everything puts me off.

Annie
Your first post asked for à not á.
Ctrl+Alt+a gives á
Alt+133 gives à.
In case there is any confusion.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 May 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sinann
I wondered if anyone else picked that up!   Or whether I was imagining things.
 ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 May 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,

That certainly sounds & looks a lot less complicated & understandable to me although I do know how to insert symbols....I had it set wrong on the 'Font' option when I couldn't find it & was not paying attention  ;)

Thanks (Sinann & Dawn) for pointing out the differing letters as I hadn't noticed.

Yes it was/is definitely an 'à' I needed.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"