Author Topic: City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery  (Read 6449 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery
« on: Monday 01 May 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Registers, 1841-1966, have been added to ancestry.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61263

Should save Steve a few look ups!
John

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Great. ;D  Now to the long list of missing burials for the East End. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
I hope they've done a better job than they have with Chingford Mount Cemetery amongst this collection - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=9041.  There are a lot of missing folios including for a couple of my direct ancestors.  I've been manually though the images and they're not there. :-X

EDIT - well I'm disappointed by the Chingford Mount screw up, but I've just found four missing burials in City of London & Tower Hamlets, including two direct line, so am feeling a bit more amenable towards Ancestry. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Well pleased, and a lot happier than with the issues with Chingford Mount Cemetery on Ancestry, I've so far found 13 direct ancestor burials and quite a few sidelines too. ;D

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for alerting me to the  release of these records.  Twenty one direct ancestors found so far from 1861 to 1965, with only one transcription error (my g-grandfather, boxing champion, Richard "Harry" Paul was 90 not 30 when he was one of the last to be buried at THC on 11 December 1965).

Kenneth Greenway - who looks after the nature park at "Bow Cemetery" as it remains known locally, will be looking forward to a rush of visitors trying to locate their ancestors' graves.

www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/leisure_and_culture/parks_and_open_spaces/cemetery_park

I recall that there were two ladies who spent the second Sunday of each month transcribing the inscriptions at Bow Cemetery.  A massive task.  Not sure that they ever made these available on-line or elsewhere, but they and Ken were fantastically helpful in guiding me to the long overgrown and lost graves of my father and grandparents.

Kevin now in Chester

Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Might take a while to scan all these burials as they are scanning the books not the fiche, the fiche is a complete muddle of consecrated and non consecrated burials, I have spent hours in the LMA looking, thanks from me as well for alerting me to the online burials.

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
I found a bunch of Scriven ancestors in this data set.

My ggg-grandfather died in Hackney and was buried all the way in Chingford cemetery. He was poor so why he ended up there I have no idea.

Offline Tsu

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ellen Rondeau 1885-1960
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Good for children that were born and died between the censuses.  Found a Rondeau already.

Many thanks
East London:
Happe/Hoppe (St. Georges in the East)
Stanley (middle name Thurston)
Rondeau (Spitalfields and Salford)
Jones (Bishopsgate - Thomas, Ostrich Feather Manufacturer)
Wood (London City)
McDermott (Londonderry and Stepney)
Upcraft (Bethnal Green)
Chidgey (Shoredtich)
Grim (Bethnal Green)
Row (Mast makers in Wapping)
Spurden (Stepney and Pancras)
Glibbery (Bishopsgate)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Registers, 1841-1966, have been added to ancestry.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61263
Should save Steve a few look ups!
John

Just noticed this...

Is anyone able to do a Look-up for me please for my late Uncle:

Ernest Rencella Wilson, Born Swansea 8/8/1897. Died Stepney, London 5/12/1957.

I've never been able to find where he was Buried.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.