Author Topic: Was my great grandmother adopted?  (Read 8696 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was my great grandmother adopted?
« on: Tuesday 02 May 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
I am starting to wonder if my great grandmother Frances Jane Ward was adopted.
I have a baptism record for Frances Jane which reads born 10 October 1849 and baptised 10 November 1850 at St Thomas, Birmingham. Her parents were William and Frances Ward.
William and Frances (nee Ware) were married on 3 October 1841 at St Martin, Birmingham. I have no other children for the couple that I can find records for. Also when William and Frances emigrated to NZ from Liverpool in 1856, they came out with just Frances Jane who was age 7 at the time.
When Frances Jane was 17 she married under the maiden name of Taylor and one of her children (my grandmother) was registered at birth as a Taylor and Frances Jane's name on the birth register was Frances Jane Taylor (no father info) but none of her other children were given the name Taylor. Frances Jane had 12 children - 3 from her marriage to John James Keefe and 9 from her de facto relationship with Charles DeMalmanche (my g/mother was from that relationship).
I was just curious to see where the Taylor name came from and did a search on Find My Past for a Frances Jane Taylor and found a birth record for that name which read - Frances Jane Taylor, born Aston, Warwickshire, 1849, birth quarter 4, Vol 16, Page 171. I then went onto GRO but I got no results, also searched with lesser information as well as under the surname Ward.
 William and Frances were married for eight years before Frances Jane was born and I do realize back in those days there were a lot of infant deaths but it is the fact why did she also use Taylor as her maiden name when she married, and also her father William Ward was a witness to the marriage, and on one of her childrens birth registrations.
 Does anyone know how I can go about finding out about adoptions for Birmingham or any other part of Warwickshire? The birth record I found on FindMyPast does not have any father or mother information.
 Thanks in advance for any help
    Kind Regards, Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Was my great grandmother adopted?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
Can't really help with the issue of possible adoption, but just want to clarify that the birth registration for Frances Jane TAYLOR at Aston Union Dec qtr is on the GRO index, with no mother's maiden name given, so possibly illegitimate. You could order the certificate, presumably it would have the mother's name (but probably not the father), but I'm not sure that will help you much unless you can link the mother to someone in the family?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 03:46 BST (UK) »
And it is also on the following index   
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 03:59 BST (UK) »
NZ BDM index has four births for mother as Frances Jane KEEFE, father as John and/or John James and one birth under O’KEEFE for mother as Frances Jane and father as John James

1868 Mary Jane (as O’KEEFE)
1869  Anna Maria
1871 Frances Elizabeth
1880 William Emery
1885 Ethel Amelia

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies and help. I went back onto GRO but somehow it comes up with no record for me. But it did come up on the freebmd showing just what I saw on find my past. And yes I know about the NZBDM online for the registered children for Frances Jane under Keefe or O'Keefe - ( she married John James Keefe - but he kind of "disappeared" out of the picture after spending jail time for horse stealing ) - and the birth registration for my grandmother Charlotte Rosannah under the name Taylor and mother Frances Jane Taylor and father n/r; and Josephine Adelaide under De Malmanche ( Frances Jane lived with Charles Joseph De Malmanche but they never married ). There were nine children that more than likely were born to Frances Jane and Charles J De Malmanche, and that is including my grandmother and William Emery and Ethel Amelia but at this time can not be certain.
I have contacted GRO by email asking them about Frances Jane Taylor as I would be interested in buying her birth certificate and gave them the details that came up on FindMyPast and hopefully soon they will get back in touch with me.
 Thanks Again and Kind Regards,
    Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know the GRO Index is different to FreeBMD.
https://www.gro.gov.uk
It is a fairly new site and you have to register to use it but its is free to search.
It has Mothers mn listed.

As maddys52 said that entry has no Mothers mn so likely illegitimate.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Now that you have the registration details for Frances Jane Taylor you can use them to order her birth certificate from the GRO online - you don't need to await an email response from them.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
And cheaper from the GRO

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:34 BST (UK) »

Have you found them on the 1851 census...

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith