Author Topic: Was my great grandmother adopted?  (Read 8695 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was my great grandmother adopted?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 02 June 17 02:28 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at census records that I have for the Ware family and going back and forth lots of pages to see if any Taylor's are on the same census but none so far. The 1841 census I have for Frances Ware is just a short time before her marriage to William Ward and Frances is living at home with her parents and siblings at Lower Trinity St, Birms. On their marriage record they are both residing at Lower Trinity St but what I cannot fathom is I cannot find any census records for William Ward for 1841! also have not been able to find any census records for 1851 for William, Frances and Frances Jane. The Ward family left Liverpool in Nov 1856 for Wellington, NZ on the "Indian Queen".
William Ward was a sawyer/builder and his father Joseph Ward was also a sawyer/builder.
I wondered if they both knew Thomas Taylor through their occupations as T Taylor was a tool maker.
Some members on ancestry have a 1851 census for a Charles William Ward b Pensford, Somerset, occ master miller out of business, wife Frances Jane b Manchester and Frances Jane b 1851 as she is only 2 mths on census. There is also a George Taylor b Scotland. But to me that is not the family as for starters Frances Jane was very proud that she came from Birmingham (my gmother used to tell me how she was proud of her birthplace) and on her headstone it reads from Birmingham.
 I just find it strange that I cannot find any census for William, Frances and F J for 1851.
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 02 June 17 05:09 BST (UK) »
Saw the 1841 yesterday but couldn't find an Edward, Jane & Elizabeth Baptism to a Thomas that seemed to suit.
I did find Edward & Jane with parents Thomas & Elizabeth, Thomas was a steel toy maker on both. The one I found for Elizabeth with parents Thomas & Elizabeth had him as a purse spring maker so not convinced at the moment.

Looking at familysearch (which doesn't give father's occupations) there are 2 possible baptisms for Elizabeth with parents Thomas and Elizabeth at St Martin's Birmingham:
1 Aug 1816 and 16 June 1817 ?

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 02 June 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1/8/1816 and 16/6/1817 baptism records earlier this am and father's occupation for the 1816 is Victualler and 1817 Purse Spring Maker
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 02 June 17 06:07 BST (UK) »
Looks like we all looked at the same Baptisms :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline zuluspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 03:30 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but a very interesting read.

I am descended from Charles de Malmanche and did not know that he and Frances were not married.
I have a feeling that Frances was adopted in a whangi situation. Maybe William and Frances could not have children? As someone mentioned if official adoption wasnt around then, there could have been the whangi option.
Giving a child to a family to raise who can not have their own, or within a family/friends arrangement. Could have been her birth family could not afford more children. Hence the openness and her using her birth name.
In my tree there are many names for her and was hard working out what is what, but this thread has helped a bit. So thanks :-)

Kyleigh

Offline zuluspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
Here is her headstone.

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Frances-Jane-De-Malmanche/11356030?referrer=myheritage

She is buried with Charles de Malmanche, and it says she is his wife. She was married to Keefe before Charles. She and John had 3 children she and Charles had 9.
If you have any more info on her I would love to hear it so I can have it correctly put in my family tree also.

Kyleigh

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just in case . . . . .     

1851 Trinity Birkenhead, Oliver Street.
HO107 2175 268 38

Charles Wm Ward, 25, M, Miller, Somerset
Frances Jane Ward, 24, M, Birkenhead
Elizabeth M Jones, 4, StepDaur, Liverpool
Frances Jane Ward, 2m, Daur, Birkenhead

George Taylor, 26, U, Visitor, Commission Agent, Scotland,     

Kate Allan, 25, U, Servant, Ireland
William Brown, 16, U, Servant, Demerera

Marriage 1850 Mar Liverpool 20 211,     
Charles William Ward / Frances Jane Jones
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 02 August 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
"zuluspirit" I have sent you a PM regarding Frances Jane.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 02 August 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

By sending info via pm then you cut out that info from all others trying to assist.     

You may also be causing duplication of effort and wasting the time of those trying to assist.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).