Author Topic: Mellifont - Patrick and Ellen married 1834 of 3 Evergreen St Cork  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Phil.Mellifont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mellifont - Patrick and Ellen married 1834 of 3 Evergreen St Cork
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
dathai - thanks for your input

regards
Phil

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hugh MELLIFONT and Ellen O'LEARY had children from at least 1864 which places their marriage prior to that date which is unfortunately the beginning of civil records - I had hoped to find a marriage to tie into Patrick MELLIFONT and Ellen BYRNE but no luck so far

The children I found were
Son Michael Joseph MELLEFONT in 1864 LINK
This shows his father as William Hugh MELLIFONT
he died aged 7 in 1871 Cork Q4 V20 P77

Son Robert William MELLEFONT in 1867 LINK
Presumable died before second Robert was born in 1874 but also could account for why the 1874 child was baptised Thomas

Twins Mary Ellen and Margaret Jospehine MELLIFONT LINK #482 & #483
They both died in 1866 aged 0; both references are Cork 1866 Q1 V5 P74

Daughter Mary Elizabeth MELLEFONT b1869 LINK; Baptism in St. Patrick's LINK
Possible death in 1870 aged 1; Cork Q4 V2 P77

Robert MELLIFONT was baptised Thomas Stephen MELLIFONT in 1874 LINK

still not sure that there is a link but there are very few families with the name in the area
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Phil.Mellifont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help my luck!

Yes- Mellifont is an usual name...  I suspect all the Mellifonts that were in Cork were related.

best regards
Phil

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism of a William MELLIFONT to Patrick and Ellen BURNS in 1840 LINK
He may be the William Hugh found
You would still need the marriage of William Hugh MELLIFONT and Ellen O'LEARY to be 100% sure as there were other William MELLIFONT births to other parents at that time

The previously found son, Robert, of (William) Hugh & Ellen may have had a daughter that married
LINK to familysearch.org where there is reference to a 1919 birth, 1949 marriage and then 1951 birth
Originals are not online but a 1951 birth could still be alive
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ConT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Phil, Good Evening,
I believe you are currently in Cork.   My name is Cornelius Patrick Tobin (known as Neil) therefore I bear the name of my Great Grandfather who married Mary Jane Mellifont on 7th May 1868, and my middle name is the same as my G G Grandfather Patrick Mellifont  who incidentally was the witness for Cors, on 7th May 1868, Ellen Smith was the witness for Mary Jane Mellifont whose Christian names have been retained by her Tobin descendants down to this day.     I live with my wife in the South Parish area of Cork City where my ancestors have dwelled as least since the 18th Century.     By chance I came across your post on the Ireland Reaching Out earlier this month and left my email contact there.  Would be great to meet up with you but only if you want to.  I will keep an eye on this platform but if you wish to email me you will find my address on Ireland reaching out platform.  It occured to me that you may have not accessed that platform recently.   Hope you have a great trip.  Kindest regards.  Neil.

Offline ConT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Phil, Good Evening,
I believe you are currently in Cork.   My name is Cornelius Patrick Tobin (known as Neil) therefore I bear the name of my Great Grandfather who married Mary Jane Mellifont on 7th May 1868, and my middle name is the same as my G G Grandfather Patrick Mellifont  who incidentally was the witness for Cors, on 7th May 1868, Ellen Smith was the witness for Mary Jane Mellifont whose Christian names have been retained by her Tobin descendants down to this day.     I live with my wife in the South Parish area of Cork City where my ancestors have dwelled as least since the 18th Century.     By chance I came across your post on the Ireland Reaching Out earlier this month and left my email contact there.  Would be great to meet up with you but only if you want to.  I will keep an eye on this platform but if you wish to email me you will find my address on Ireland reaching out platform.  It occured to me that you may have not accessed that platform recently.   Hope you have a great trip.  Kindest regards.  Neil.

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, i know im a little late, i have a grt grt grandmother mary or margaret melkifont who married george tyner in 1844. She was born abt 1817 and died 1905 in middleton. George died 1899 in enniskeane aged 92 born abt 1807. I dont know who margarets parents are. They were both church of ireland as far as i know. John in wicklow
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline Phil.Mellifont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for the response...

Mellifont is an unusual name, and our family is generally Catholic although some members would jump the fence every now and then.   My G-G-G-grandparents had a Mary in 1809...  it's possible that 'my' Mary is 'your' Mary.

Here's a link to the family tree as I understand it-
https://mellifont.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/revised-family-tree-patrick-mellifont-1799-1890/

There are no more Mellifonts in Ireland.. the last one died in the 1950s I think... but there are Mellifonts in the USA and Australia.    There was a James Mellifont owned land in Kinsale in 1641-

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/landowners.php#l1=Mellifont,+James&mc=51.726596,-8.517509&z=12

G-G-Grandfather Patrick was listed in his baptism record as living at Skiddy's Castle lane and Mary Skiddy's was a sponsor.

My G-Grandfather Thomas emigrated to Australia in 1862.   Mary was his aunt.

Thanks for the post... if you ever do any digging around and find a documented connection, I'd love to hear about it.   Phil Mellifont (*)

I spent a month in Ireland travelling around and visiting the locations of my ancestors.    It was a superb holiday.

best regards
Phil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.