Author Topic: Transcription from French please?  (Read 790 times)

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sawyer, Day, Richardson, Blake
    • View Profile
Transcription from French please?
« on: Tuesday 02 May 17 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone  ;D

Can anyone help me with this please?
I've been trying to transcribe and translate this baptism, I don't know any French so I'm completely relying on Google translate to help me. I have bits and pieces but much of it just eludes me, even though the writing is quite clear, the individual letters often aren't.
I've had a look at other pages and it seems that this is the only entry with this handwriting.
Date: 6 Jun 1742
Parents: Lazare and Elizabeth Desbois
Place: West Street Chapel, Soho (French Protestant), 1706-1743

Thank you
Hilary
Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

<br />Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription from French please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
It looks if though there is at least one line missing from the top, and perhaps a word off the left hand edge of the image towards the bottom.

... a Lazare, et Elizabeth Desbois membre de l'églyze Françoize de la Pyramide à Londres, leur est né par la grace de Dieu une fille le 6 juillet 1742 qui a reçu le St Baptême par Mr Jean Lemonnier le 1er d'Aout suivant au deffaut de Mr Yven Pasteur etant pour ?? en campagne,
Et représentée par ... a eté nommée Elizabeth
par Jean Lemonnier ministre

... [maybe a parish etc with name ending Lazare], and Elizabeth Desbois, member of the French Church of la Pyramide at London, a daughter was born to them by the grace of God on the 6 July 1742 who received holy baptism from Mr Jean Lemonnier on the 1st August following, in ???
And represented by [???] was named Elizabeth.

I can't properly make out the part which includes what looks like "en deffaut", but perhaps it says Mr Lemonnier was deputizing for the priest (Pasteur) who was in the country (i.e. not in London?)  Maybe someone else is more familiar with these documents.

But I can't be sure Lazare is the father's name, as there should be some words on the previous line.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi JohninSussex

Thanks for your input, so much better than I could have ever come up with.  ;D

On the page that this section comes from, there is no information above the first line shown here, just the previous baptism, which is by a different person. I suppose it is possible that this entry was copied from another source and that there was a line missed when transcribed.

I believe Elizabeth's father's name was Lazare (sometimes Lazarus) Desbois and I wondered why this entry started with a lower case letter 'a', so perhaps there is more elsewhere.

Thanks again John, this is awesome!
Regards
Hilary

Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
The represented by part, I think, relates to godparents.
Michel Desbois and Elizabet ?Holle?

If the church is 'French Protestant' it would be Huguenot.  A query to the Huguenot Society may be an idea, as they may be able to help with the missing line?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

This entry was worded a little differently to others on the page which have the French words 'Parrain' for Godfather and 'Marraine' for Godmother within the text.
Michael Desbois was Lazare's brother and Elizabeth Holle was his married sister so  makes sense that they were named Godparents.

I'll try the Huguenot Society, I hadn't thought about contacting them.

Thanks for your help
Hilary