Author Topic: Russell / Burton / Wilkinson, SELBY - Inland Rev. Register  (Read 3568 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Russell / Burton / Wilkinson, SELBY - Inland Rev. Register
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

In the Selby Parish Transcriptions pdf p.191

BRUNYEA Children baptised Selby ...

Mother was Elizabeth COOK, Daughter of John COOK, Farmer.
Births 1788 Peter & Thomas Twins
Births 1790 Elizabeth (2nd Daughter)
Births 1793 Jane

Two years before George HOOD & COLLINSON took out the Mortgage in 1836 with Ann ETTY of York, Spinster, Claire noticed yesterday that the following marriage had taken place:-

William ETTY married Elizabeth BRUNYEE in Howden 1834

----------

Whether William ETTY links to Ann ETTY of York and Elizabeth BRUNYEE links to BRUNYEA and COOK at Selby remains to be seen.

----------

Looking at the 1838 Deeds Register entry for the 1836 Mortgage, the letter L is definitely looped in William and Collinson.
However, Etty is just uncrossed straight sticks, but the writer has not gone back and crossed other letter 't' in other words such as:- County; Butcher; Spinster; City; containing; certain and mentioned.

It is quite bad not to have crossed the 't' in the margin title either. Collinson & Ors to Elly [but likely Etty].

Other words like ...  the, trustees and third, where the writer can utilise the previous or following letter to apparently cross the 't' in approximately the right place, the writer has crossed the 't'.

Concentrating and working out what all the words and sentences actually said, I missed the fact that only some 't' were crossed, but where the writer has to return to the letter 't' to cross it, the writer did not bother.

-----------

Ann Etty of the City of York died September 1837, so I am ordering a copy of her Will Bundle.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann ELLY of the City of York Spinster MORTGAGE to HOOD & COLLINSON
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 April 18 16:11 BST (UK) »

Mint Yard, York, was the later Wine and Spirits Merchant address of WELLS HOOD related to Richard HOOD of Stamford Bridge, Catton (near Stamford Bridge), Catwick and Leven.

Manor of Catwick ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.msg6005218#msg6005218

----------

I have just managed to acquire a document mentioning in 1739 James HOOD of Upper Catton, Yeoman and Ann his Wife, and John Conyers of New Malton Gentleman, for ground called Bolton Ings in the Constabulary of Habton in the Parish of Kirkby Misperton otherwise Kirkby Overcar near to a place called Tom Hollin and then in the Tenure or Occupation of James Hood his assignee or assigns.

In 1773 Ann Hood of Allerthorpe, Widow and Relict of James Hood transferred the residue.

Hello

Reference to a John HOOD of Scarborough, in the burial of James Son of John Hood of Scarbro' in the Old Malton Burial Register in 1781. (The Will of James HOOD of Scarborough was Proved Dec 1782, Sister Jane WARDALE, alias WARDLE, signed Wardell or Wardele).
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758603.msg6157010#msg6157010

----------

In the quote regarding James HOOD and Wife Ann, of Upper Catton (Ann HOOD late of Allerthorpe), their Lands appear to have transferred to John CONYERS of New Malton, Gentleman.

----------

I believe I have found the grave memorial (now in a path) St Mary's Scarborough for the LEPPINGTON FAMILY (in the M.I.).

Here rests the remaines of JONATHAN LEPPINGTON and also his family the former died 23rd June 1755 aged 48[?] years. Also of HANNAH the wife of CHRISTOPHER CONYERS who died 21st September 1800 aged 64 years.

Burial Register (per M.I.)
25 June 1755 Jonathan Lepington.
24 September 1800 Hannah wife to Christopher Conyers, 64 yrs.

----------

Interesting the Lands of James HOOD transferring to a John CONYERS of New Malton, Gent.

Possibly the same LEPPINGTON Family that John HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner (later of Selby) married into (Elizabeth LEPPINGTON) and Hannah [nee LEPPINGTON] died 1800, being the wife of Christopher CONYERS?

Christopher CONYERS married Hannah LEPPINGTON, Scarborough, 17th December 1772 (per FS)

----------

I'm wondering if John, Christopher or Hannah CONYERS left a Will.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 07:21 BST (UK) »

Ann Etty of the City of York died September 1837, so I am ordering a copy of her Will Bundle.

Hello

Ann ETTY of Tower Street in the City of York Spinster, had personal property at Gate Helmsley County of York, occupied by [blank] Lordman.

Ann ETTY also had real estates vested in her by way of a Mortgage and also an arrangement to get in the money secured by such mortgages, so she does look like my woman who loaned the money to George HOOD for Collinson.

The three witnesses to the Will were:-
John ORD or John ORDE (signed own name, nice handwriting, so no spelling error)
Wm SMITH and
Mary ERSKINE.

----------

According to Claire, in 1847 at Scarborough her Sister, Mary ETTY residing Scarborough, appears to have married William BLUNDELL of the Suburbs of York, Methodist Minister (No Father given for either party), by Licence.

Mary BLUNDELL born Yorkshire Wheldrake and [Yorkshire, Addorton?] appears in the Census as Landowner, Fund Holder and Retired, back at Tower Street, York.

----------

No clue here, about George Hood.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:08 BST (UK) »

Hello

Ann ETTY of Tower Street in the City of York Spinster, had personal property at Gate Helmsley County of York, occupied by [blank] Lordman.

Ann ETTY also had real estates vested in her by way of a Mortgage and also an arrangement to get in the money secured by such mortgages, so she does look like my woman who loaned the money to George HOOD for Collinson.

The three witnesses to the Will were:-
John ORD or John ORDE (signed own name, nice handwriting, so no spelling error)
Wm SMITH and
Mary ERSKINE.

----------

According to Claire, in 1847 at Scarborough her Sister, Mary ETTY residing Scarborough, appears to have married William BLUNDELL of the Suburbs of York, Methodist Minister (No Father given for either party), by Licence.

Mary BLUNDELL born Yorkshire Wheldrake and [Yorkshire, Addorton?] appears in the Census as Landowner, Fund Holder and Retired, back at Tower Street, York.

----------

No clue here, about George Hood.

Mark

There is no ruddy clue anywhere of origins about this gentleman deceased 1845 Selby  ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

Yes, the late Ann ETTY, not giving much away either.

This Gate Helmsley where Ann had some land and building, is not far from Stamford Bridge.

Ann ETTY of the City of York, Will, Proved 1838
Sister - Mary
Brother - Richard
Brother - Henry
Brother - William
Nephew - Thomas, second Son of my Brother Henry

Looks like the three Brothers of Ann ETTY above, married?

One surname that catches my eye (albeit later) is the surname WELLS, thinking of Wells HOOD of Mint Yard, York (related to Richard HOOD of Catton and Stamford Bridge, born Leven / Catwick) and predecessor William WELLS who devised the Manor of Catwick to Richard HOOD.

1871 Census Wades Mill, Standon, Hertfordshire
William Etty,       Head                   M   85   born Wheldrake, Yorkshire (Widowed, Retired Farmer).
Mary M Wells,    Daughter            F    33   born Hurtmore, Surrey
Henry Wells,       Son-in-law          M   36   born Hertford, Hertfordshire (Smith & Ironmonger)
Ada M Wells,      Granddaughter  F      1   born Standon, Hertfordshire
Herbert E Wells, Grandson           M     0   born Standon, Hertfordshire
Fanny Baker,      Servant               F    15   born Ware, Hertfordshire

Also one of the ETTYs (not sure if direct sibling of Ann ETTY) appears to be living in the area known as Stamford Bridge, East.  Richard HOOD lives in the same area.

But Wheldrake where Ann ETTY originates, is near York.

Looks like the parents of Henry WELLS (in the 1871 Census above), George & Susan WELLS were born Hertfordshire.

Mark