Author Topic: What happened to Thomas ?  (Read 3435 times)

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Thomas ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Sorry sorry sorry - I didnt' make myself clear !! Only excuse is that it was late and my life was getting in the way of my family history research !!  So yes, the article which Willsy posted from Newcastle Evening Chronicle 07 March 1939 is the one I am talking about, but the death occurred in 1887.  I tried to upload it but my file is too big - the one Willsy posted, shows everything though.

Its interesting however that though Joshua Robinson Symm lived and worked in Oxford, he died (according to the probate index) in Catton, which is near Allendale where all of his family comes from and many who still lived there, which is why I don't understand why they were looking for heirs.

His wife had died in 1881 and his daughter in 1875 (both Oxford) so no immediate lines there.  According to my research:
- his brother William Symm had died in 1881 in Healeyfield, however had left 6 children (which I haven't traced yet)
-  his sister Jane Symm (m. Usher) who is my 4 x great grandmother, had died in 1850 however a number of her children are still alive, including Mary Ann Usher (who became Hodgson, and then McFadyen as noted in the article) as well as George Frederick Usher who is my 3 x great grandfather. They are siblings to my missing Thomas Usher. Why they mentioned Mary Ann McFadyen and brother William, but not my 3 x great grandfather or the other  brothers Joseph I don't know.  I also don't know why they didn't look at the children of any other siblings ?
- his sister Dorothy Symm (m. Bell) who had died in 1873 but had 6 children (not traced yet)
- his sister Caroline Symm (m. Glenwright) who had died in 1872 but had 7 children (not traced yet).
- all other siblings died childless.

So as I said, I don't know why they were looking for NoK 50 years later when there is such a large family around in the location he died, and why was some of the children of my 4 x great grandmother looked for and not others ?  I was surprised to see that Thomas was possibly in Australia as I didn't know that, and I myself emigrated to NZ just 6 years ago.  I guess thats why I would like to know what happened to him !!

Question though - if I purchased his will, is it likely to tell me anything I don't already know ? I am confused as to why they are looking for people 50 years later....

...hope there is nothing else I have forgotton to tell you !!

North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Just looking back - they were looking for people to claim the estate in 1887.... it was in the London Standard.  I don't seem to be able to upload it though!

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 May 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, September 24, 1887 has the usual probate notice asking anyone who has any claims against the estate to contact the solicitors handling the estate - Brook, Freeman and Batley of Huddersfield and London.
Identical notices in The Standard (London, England), Tuesday, September 27, 1887,
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, October 1, 1887,
The Standard (London, England), Tuesday, October 04, 1887

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, July 23, 1887, has a death notice for him:
DEATHS
July 19 at Catton, Northumberland, J. R. SYMM of 34 St Giles St, Oxford, aged 78

It's possible that there was some residual of his estate which needed to be tidied up.  Perhaps the people being searched for were beneficiaries of his will, in which case they would not necessarily be next of kin.

His will, if you can access it, may explain the circumstances.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judith.  Its an interesting one and whilst I was initially interested in what happened to Thomas in Australia, the more I have looked into Joshua, the more I find myself fascinated with the man himself.  I used to live near Oxford in the UK and to find out he built many of the awesome buildings is really mind blowing !!!  Oxford is truly a gorgeous city for architecture!!!.  I will take your advice and see if I can get hold of his will.  I have ordered a couple through the UK govt. site and they generally come within a few weeks.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 May 17 02:09 BST (UK) »
He is an interesting chap for sure.  By coincidence my husband worked at 37A St Giles in the 70s, with the Oxford University Press cartography section so the building had been converted to offices.   37A is in the same terrace as No 34 where Joshua lived.

Yes, Oxford is just lovely and we enjoyed living there.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline famhistbuff

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Charlie (right).
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 May 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
There was a Thomas Usher arrived in Port Adelaide 24 Jan 1860 aboard the Phoebe Dunbar.  Not sure where (or if) you might find more information on the passengers.

On another note that may or may not help - I had an elusive ancestor who was also a blacksmith.  When I finally located him, I found that he moved around following the gold-rush as blacksmiths were in high demand in the gold-rush towns and he did a bit of prospecting on the side.  Kooringa was a mining town, which might just be a coincidence.
Wallace - Galway
Buck - Nottingham
Spafford - Nottingham
Embrey - Monmouthshire

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 November 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Victoria

I have JR Symms will! I bought it when I was tracing one of the beneficiaries. Then I was in contact with another beneficiaries descendant, who lives in British Columbia!

I'll get it out tonight, the name Usher is on my SIMM database.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 December 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gen

Just revisiting this - don't suppose you or the other descendant ever found Thomas ?

Cheers
Victoria