Author Topic: John COX & John Lewin COX - Handwriting comparison 1844.  (Read 2452 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John COX & John Lewin COX - Handwriting comparison 1844.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 May 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
All 3 signatures are almost identical as regards the John Cox elements - only the J is different in the 1816 signature. Bear in mind that there are 19 years between that and the 1835 signature.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 May 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Shaun J

I think they are the same man.  The J and the flourish on the X does concern me though.

Just to throw in a spanner, I found that the daughter Frances who married in 1835 remarried in 1864 naming her father as John COX, needle maker!

Bitzar
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 May 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
I didn't comment when I posted the signatures together as I wanted a bit of time to look at them objectively.

Like you Bitzar I have some concerns about the J and the X, but as Sean Shaun (sorry!) says, there's a gap of almost 20-years.  JLC would have been about 18 in 1816 and probably hadn't needed to sign his name very often before then, and I know my signature certainly changed as I got older.

I don't think there's any doubt the 1835 signature as a witness to Frances' marriage is the same as that on the 1844 marriage record, and what I think is quite interesting on the 1816 one is that there is a gap between the loopy J and the O, whereas thinking back to when I was taught cursive it would have been more normal to continue the loop up to the letter O.  There is also similarity in the general spacing of the words & letters, as well as the slope to the right.   So overall I'd say yes, it appears to be the same hand.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 May 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
All

I do think you are correct.  Even the weight of the hand is similar.

I have also been corresponding with a lady via Anc* who is researching her John Lewin COX.  I have been giving away VERY minimal info until I received this MC.  She couldn't even find a death which told her I thought was Nov 1846 for my John COX.  She bought that DC and also received that today and found that the informant was a relative which proved it was also HER John Lewin COX.

On the same day we proved it from both angles!

Thank you ALL so much for your efforts, patience, and time away from your loved ones.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England