Author Topic: Rachel and Elizabeth Reid in York Township in 1800s  (Read 1521 times)

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel and Elizabeth Reid in York Township in 1800s
« on: Tuesday 02 May 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
I do not know if this is the correct board to post this question. In my research of early settlers on Concession 4 east of Yonge Street I find 2 Samuel Martin families, one on Lot 4 and the other on Lot 2. Both Samuels are married to Reid women - one is Elizabeth Reid born about 1832 in Ireland and the other Rachel Reid born on September 11, 1827 in Ireland. My dilemma is that I am trying to determine whether the 2 Reid women are sisters and they married men with same given and last name. I have tried to find results in Familysearch and other internet sites and have been unsuccessful. Would you have any suggestions for me? Thank you in advance.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel and Elizabeth Reid in York Township in 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure this will help yet - marriage of Rachel Reid to Samuel Martin - witnesses John Reid and Elizabeth Reid. 14 January 1850 Toronto.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Death record for Rachel Martin doesn't give any clues - Rachel Martin 24 July 1901 - 73 years - born Ireland - housewife - widow - 4 con E York

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
Good clue Sandra on the marriage license. John and Elizabeth Reid could quite possibly be brother and sister of Rachel.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Death of Elizabeth Reid Martin - 28 April 1913 - York Ontario. Parents Samuel Reid and mother Sarah Lockey

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
There is an anc tree which says Rachel Reid (Martin) - 1827–1901
Born 11 September 1827 - Ireland and died 24 July 1901 - York Township, York, Ontario.

Not sure that the parents listed look correct but will quote them for you to see  ::)

Parents are listed as - John Hugh MARTIN - 1790–1861
Born 8 March 1790 - Monongalia Co,(W)VA and passed away 24 SEP 1861 - Farmington, Marion, Virginia   ??? ??? ???
Mother Nancy Elizabeth EVERLY - 1797–1845
Born 26 July 1797 - Monongalia Co,(W)VA passed away 26 July 1845 - Farmington, Marion, Virginia, USA  ??? ??? ???

Sandra

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Wow Sandra. Thank you so much for the information on the death of Elizabeth Reid Martin and the name of her parents. You have the right Rachel (Reid) Martin, but the parents listed are wrong because Rachel was born a Reid. I don't know how you do it, but you are always such a great help in uncovering information that I cannot.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Those parents - "stick out like a sore thumb" - one of those not to be relied on anc trees  ::)
Shame Rachel's death certificate didn't give parents info  :'(

Sandra

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 May 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
Death of Elizabeth Reid Martin - 28 April 1913 - York Ontario. Parents Samuel Reid and mother Sarah Lockey

Sandra

In case this helps,
Mary Reid (born Ireland, age 25) married Francis Summers (born Ireland, age 32), 13 April 1866, both of Toronto.
Mary's parents:  Samuel Reid and Sarah Leckey
Francis' parents: John Summers and Ann Phair
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)