Author Topic: daughter 15 yrs old marked as visitor  (Read 1447 times)

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
daughter 15 yrs old marked as visitor
« on: Tuesday 02 May 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
 Hi Folks
1861 Census for widow Isabella Robson at Park Shields Warden Outdoor labourer aged 45
has Dtr Dorothy (UM) 23
Son Thomas 17
Dtr Ann 13
Dtr Mary 10
Grandson Wm 2 (looks like 12)
Visitor Isabella 15........odd as Isabella is a daughter too.
I know kids were farmed out to relatives etc.....but seems odd. Any ideas?
Sometimes I have seen visiting kids listed as grandchildren & not related at all
Borodenko, Kalmus, Lobanenko, Chaplenko. Basko.
Robson,Gillespie,Sentence, Edgar, Gildert

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: daughter 15 yrs old marked as visitor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
I have been informed that if a person was visiting that night they would be counted as living there😊

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Maybe Isabella was in service and didn't live with her Mam full time anymore, but was visiting on the night of the census?
The interpretation of what should be recorded, and how, on the census returns can be wildly different from one family (and enumerator) to another.

Boo

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
With the lady being a widow I would think that the daughter was away at work , in service most likely. She just happened to be visiting that day.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
With the lady being a widow I would think that the daughter was away at work , in service most likely. She just happened to be visiting that day.

I would think that is the answer, as girls used to start work as servants around the age of 14 in some cases. What does it give as her occupation? Far better recorded like that rather than those where you have "grandchild" and people then assume they were living with grandparents, when in fact they were probably just there visiting on census night.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:12 BST (UK) »

I would think that is the answer, as girls used to start work as servants around the age of 14 in some cases. What does it give as her occupation? Far better recorded like that rather than those where you have "grandchild" and people then assume they were living with grandparents, when in fact they were probably just there visiting on census night.

and the census returns were never intended to show where people 'lived' just where they spent the night in question (or returned there to sleep the next day if they were working a nightshift). Though interpretations of those instructions did vary  (as do our present day perceptions of the census returns) that 'was' the intention.

Boo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Was 1861 census on Mothering Sunday, 4th Sunday in Lent, by any chance ? That was the day a girl in service was traditionally allowed the day off to visit her mother, taking with her a gift of a Simnel cake.
Cowban

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 02:37 BST (UK) »
1861 Census date was 7 April.

Regards Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
A simple question put the wrong way such as 'what are the names of everyone/any others in the household' not enquiring if they were going to be sleeping there that night may have caused confusion not only in 1861 but most census years  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"