Author Topic: William Woods- bathurst nsw  (Read 2060 times)

Offline firstfleet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Woods- bathurst nsw
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 00:33 BST (UK) »

Hi my great great grandfather William woods is believed to have died in Bathurst nsw in the year of 1884..his wife eliza woods died in Sydney nsw on the 23-1-1889 buried rookwood...
  Hoping to find any record of his death..newspaper article..possible photo of headstone..have searched the trove site, but no luck..they arrived in Australia aboard the ship the herald, on the 15-7-1841 ..with three children.

Cheers
first fleet

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Woods- bathurst nsw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 00:57 BST (UK) »
This is the best record of his death ie if it is your man.....a transcription of this cert would help you
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

6556/1884
WOODS William  83 years  Died Bathurst
District Bathurst

No everyone had death notices published and so many graves are unmarked. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
According to a number of online trees he died on 26 Jan 1884 at Bathurst Hospital, Bathurst, NSW, and was buried on 27 Jan 1884 in the Church of England Cemetery, Bathurst, NSW.  Obviously someone has purchased his death certificate to have that information.

Info on a number of trees has his birth c1801 Dunamanagh, Co Tyrone, Ireland

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
Umm  :)  The original manifest for the Herald's passenger list is held by NSW State Archives, and they have digitised the images of many passenger lists.   From that list it seems William WOOD/s was aged 35 in 1841, so I am not sure about that Bathurst 1884 death.   WOOD and WOODS were  popular surnames in regional NSW throughout much of the 19th Century.   I have looked for any William WOOD or WOODS  in the Bathurst district and I have found the following:

NSW Directory for BATHURST 1867
Several people with surname WOODS but NO William WOODS

NSW Electoral Roll 1870 BATHURST
William WOODS household, Howick Street

GREVILLES PO Directory 1875 BATHURST
Mrs WOOD, Boarding House, Howick Street

NSW ER 1878 BATHURST
NO listing for a William WOOD or a William WOODS

There are images of the Herald's passenger list, freely available via NSW State Archives who hold the originals.  – See page 9 of the ebook available here: 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/assisted-immigrants-digital-shipping-lists#the-list-of-ships

Here's live link to the ebook for the Herald arriving 15 July 1841

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4788&ship=Herald

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 05:04 BST (UK) »
Evans Plains is part of the Bathurst District.  I think those submitted trees may have mishmashed some info

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63431412  27 March 1872 Bathurst Free Press.
INQUEST into a death of a William WOODS son of Eliza WOODS.

The OCR script needs a great deal of attention.   ::) and the cutting shows the lad was an amputee.

... Eliza WOODS stated on oath:  I live at Evans Plains; I am a widow and my children help support me; the dead body I have just viewed is that of my son, William Woods; he was 27 years of age ...

I think the above would likely explain the Bathurst sightings I posted earlier 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline firstfleet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 07:10 BST (UK) »
  Thank you all very much for your help..once again you have come up with the goods

Much appreciated
  Firstfleet

Offline mwbayley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
William Woods was my great, great, great, grandfather.
I have his death certificate, which I tried to attach to this post, but the file was too big.
He died in Bathurst Hospital 26 Jan 1884 from Broncho Pneumonia (6 days). It shows his parents as "unknown" which raises the question of where was his wife Eliza, as she would have known these details for the death certificate.
William was buried at Bathurst on 27 Jan 1884 by an undertaker named N S Hodge.
It also states that he was born in England and had been in the colony for an "unknown" time. Marriage details & children are also shown as "unknown." Again, Eliza would have known all this if she was present.
I also have Eliza's death certificate, so if you are interested in receiving a copy of these certificates, let me know and I can email them to you.
Would be interested to know how you fit into this family.
Cheers,
MB

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi MB,
So you and firstfleet share William WOODS as a great great grandfather.

Having viewed the two death certificates which you hold, what is contained in them to firmly connect the deceased William in Bathurst to the Eliza WOODS who died in Sydney.

Is there anything?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 06:48 BST (UK) »

I am wondering how anyone could identify the man described in the 1884 death certificate as an ancestor?