Author Topic: Richard W WARD of Kendal 91843-1917  (Read 9491 times)

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard W WARD of Kendal 91843-1917
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
John WARD (butcher and shopkeeper) of Middleton left a will, probate dated the 3 Oct 1853. This is held at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. The reference number for his probate is (WCW/1260B/65). You can contact them via their website and obtain forms to order copies at ( http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/order-a-copy.aspx )

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard W WARD of Kendal 1843-1917
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 June 17 04:26 BST (UK) »
To maddys52, rosie99 and fretep
Have finally received, from the GRO, the birth certificate of Richard WARD and yes maddy you were right in the first instance.  Richard's mother was indeed Ann SCOTT and he was born 12 Aug 1843 at Highgate, Kendal to father William (a Sawyer) and mother Ann.  We can therefore forget Ann BRADSHAW, thanks fretep for your input.
Again maddy following your burst of info on the 3 May and in particular your 1153 & 1209 BST (UK) threads, I think you were on track.  William could have started as a Sawyer and became subsequently became a joiner/carpenter.  I shall follow your lead and see where it gets me past the 1871 census.
My thanks, from a distant NZ, to you all for your interest and help.
PS Richard Wilson WARD may have been a red herring

Sorry if I'm being a little thick, I'm a bit confused. If you're looking for Richard WARD the butcher who married Rachel, then I think the Richard whose parents were William and Ann (SCOTT) is not yours as he's in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census (at least) with mother Ann, whereas Richard WARD who is a butcher is accounted for at those times with adopted parents John and Mary.

1851: Kendal
William Ward    32    Kendal, Westmorland
Ann Ward    Wife  32    , Durham
Richard Ward    7    Kendal, Westmorland
HO107/2442 / 119

1861: Queen St Bishopwearmouth, Durham
William Ward    42    Kendal, Westmorland  (joiner)
Ann Ward            42    Durham, Durham
Richard Ward    18    Kendal, Westmorland  (carpenter)
RG09/3765 / 102

1871: Bishopwearmouth
Ann Ward        52    Sunderland, Durham
Richard Ward   27    Kendal, Westmorland (ship carpenter)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 June 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
It is quite likely that Richard W Ward was not related in any way to the Ward family.  ::)

Maybe we should be trying to discount the Richard Wilson who was born 1843 Kendal mother Elizabeth  :-\

Firstly there were two deaths for a Richard Wilson in Kendal RD before Dec 1851 but no infants
Mar 1844 - WILSON    Richard -  Kendal    25   345 AGE 79
Dec 1848  - Wilson    Richard -  Kendal    25   302 AGE 27

In 1851 I can only see one Richard Wilson bn c1843 Kendal with parents George & Jane
Married 18 Nov 1844 - George Wilson bachelor Husbandman
Jane Stalker - spinster Servant
both above age and residing in Old Hutton
Fathers John Wilson (deceased) ? and Richard Stalker - Husbandman
Witnesses Richard Stalker and Catherine Stalker (x)

Possibly son Richard born before marriage - baptism names mother as Jane
Births Jun 1843  - STALKER  Richard - no mothers maiden name -  Kendal  25   478   

Have I missed anything  :-\

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 June 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
I agree maddys52. Richard - the son of William & Ann WARD of Kendal, cannot be the Richard WARD of Middleton in Lancashire. As far as I can tell, William WARD of Kendal was the son of Richard WARD & Mary READ. His father Richard was one of two bondsmen bound by the probate of William WARD (husband of Ann BRAITHWAITE) who I mentioned in a previous post. Note that another branch of this family also went to Durham.

Within my previous post I referred to the will of John WARD of Middleton. Perhaps if there really was a WARD connection (with Kendal), then this connection may be clarified within his will. However, I'm currently unable to find any connection between the WARDs of Middleton and those of the Kendal region. Actually, I'm unable to find any (other) connection between the WARDs of Middleton and Kendal.

Does anyone know anything about the process of adoption at that time?

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 June 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
maddys52/rosie99/fretep
In desperation I've decided to go back to earlier points regarding Richard WILSON b 6 May 184(GRO: Jun 1843 Kendal  Vol 25 Pg 481) and bp 28 May 1843 to Elizabeth WILSON.  You rightly point out that an Elizabeth WILSON died in Kendal in 1845 (GRO: 1845 Kendal Vol 25 Pg 324).  Let's say IF, Richard was "born out of wedlock" to Elizabeth and she had died in 1845, then his adoption shortly after ie before the 1851 Census would not be unreasonable - goes into adoption as Richard Wilson and becomes Richard Wilson WARD in 1851.

I've contacted the Lancs Record Office re John WARD's will and aLSO REQUESTED ANY GUIDANCE INTO

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 June 17 05:47 BST (UK) »
maddys52/rosie99/fretep
In desperation I've decided to go back to earlier points regarding Richard WILSON b 6 May 184(GRO: Jun 1843 Kendal  Vol 25 Pg 481) and bp 28 May 1843 to Elizabeth WILSON.  You rightly point out that an Elizabeth WILSON died in Kendal in 1845 (GRO: 1845 Kendal Vol 25 Pg 324).  Let's say "IF" Richard was "born out of wedlock" to Elizabeth and she had died in 1845, then his adoption shortly after ie before the 1851 Census would not be unreasonable - goes into adoption as Richard Wilson and becomes Richard Wilson WARD in 1851.

I've contacted the Lancs Record Office re John WARD's will and also requested any guidance into adoption records and procedures.

Back to the adoptive family of John and Mary WARD.  As far as the "blood line" of my WARDs, i've gone back to Leslie WARD (1904-1945) a Liverpudlian. Les's father was one Charles Haslam W WARD (1870-1954), lo and behold Charles Halsam W's father was Richard Wilson WARD (1843-1917) and he with wife, Rachel Ann HASLAM (1845-1905), also produced Annie Wilson WARD (1868-1943).

The common thread throughout is "Butchering" but what is still frustrating is the link between WILSON-Kendal and WARD-Middleton IF this is the right path, hence my enquiry with Preston :-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 June 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
Not helping with finding the connection, but in searching newspapers found an article mentioning John Ward of Wood St Middleton, butcher nominated to serve as parish constable at Middleton, 17 Feb 1844. (Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser)

And on 30 March 1844 it notes he was appointed as collector of taxes for the parish.

Added: He was also charged with leaving refuse from a slaughter house against his neighbour's house ( :o ) in 1850. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, Saturday, December 14, 1850

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 June 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Maddy52/rosie99 & fretap
First of all many thanks to you all for the interest, thoughts and help given over ggf Richard W WARD it has been very much appreciated. To wind up proceedings I am going to stick with, on a hunch, the following from Maddy and rosie:
Richard WILSON b 6 May 1843, bap 28 May 1843 (GRO: Jun 1843 Kendal Vol 25 Page 481)
Elizabeth WILSON d 1845 age 19 (GRO: Dec 1845 Kendal Vol 25 Page 324)

John (butcher) & Mary WARD m 28 Jul 1817 in Prestwich near Middleton.
1841 Census - John & Mary listed with 6 children in Middleton.
1851 Census - ------------"----------  8 children including Richard W.
The extracts from the newspapers for John WARD fit nicely timewise Maddy.

Having studied the death of a Richard WILSON (GRO: Dec 1848 Kendal Vol 25 Page 302)  there is also an Elizabeth WILSON dying age 19 in 1845 (GRO: Dec 1845 Kendal Vol 25 Page 324), which I liken to.   

Regarding the matter of adoption I entered a blog in the The Common Room - The Lighter Side of RootsChat.com and had a very useful reply from "dowdsfree"
"Formal adoption, as we know it, did not come into being until 1927 in England & Wales. Prior to this it was usually an informal arrangement between possibly the birth mother and the family bringing up the child as their own."
Finally, I've had no reply from the Lancs Record Office re John WARD's will, so no doubt will have to badger them some more.

Once again, many thanks to you all from a grateful Kiwi.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
team

I have assisted a close friend with her research and she is descended from WARD's of Kendal.  I'll have a look around and maybe work from the other way if I can.

Regards

bitzar...

down under.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England