Author Topic: Richard W WARD of Kendal 91843-1917  (Read 9492 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard W WARD of Kendal 91843-1917
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 June 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry I had not noticed that you had asked about adoption (reply 21)  There are many posts on here about it not legally starting until the late 1920's.  I have been told of one that was arranged in a local hostelry prior to that time  ???   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 June 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
bitzar
Many thanks for your interest in my problem.
Because Richard only appears to have added the W (for Wilson) after his adoption by John and Mary WARD in Lancashire, makes me think that his mother or father's name was WILSON rather than WARD.
As you can see from the team who have been helping me the basic problem is that no link can be found between WARD in Westmorland and WARD in Lancashire.
Will see what comes of applying for a copy of John WARD's will now that adoption records are a non-starter.
hokum50 from across the Ditch

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 July 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
Fretep
maddys52
rosie99
bitzar

My apologies for the delay in reporting back.  A copy of John WARD's Will has only just reached me here in NZ and unfortunately it is not good news for my search other than an elimination.
John WARD left his whole estate to his wife Mary (nee TAYLOR).
In the event of her death, the estate was to be shared equally between "his" six children with the exception of Richard Wilson WARD who doesn't even get a mention.
Because Richard Wilson lived with his adoptive mother after John WARD's death (1861 census) with the youngest WARD (Sarah Ellen), Mary might have been a bit more charitable in her will.
fretep
Could you possibly find a Probate Ref No: for Mary WARD please, on the off chance that her Will just might give a clue to Richard Wilson's original surname.
Regards to you all.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 July 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
As Mary Wards death is after 1858 you should be able to find any will she made mentioned on here
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

You can order direct from that site though it costs £10 - it is sent digitally within a few days

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard W WARD of Kendal 1843-1917
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 July 17 04:51 BST (UK) »
rosie99
Many thanks for the Probate Search ref.  Unfortunately I have drawn yet another blank.
As Mary WARD was living with her daughter Sarah Ellen and Richard Wilson WARD in Middleton at the 1861 census, I looked for her in the 1871 and 1881 census, without luck.
Next I checked to see if she had resided with "any" including Richard Wilson of her children in 1871, another blank.
Checked for deaths of Mary WARD in Oldham (assuming Middleton remained in the Oldham area) between 1861 & 1871, found 3, none of whom filed Probate or posted a Wills.
Because records were not kept of adoptions way back in the 1850s, the chances of discovering who Richard Wilson's parents were, are probably approaching nil.
So thanks again everyone for your assistance in trying to track down his parents.
Regards

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 July 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update.  I still wonder if it was the one we found whose mother we think dies shortly after.

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard W WARD of Kendal 1843-1917
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
I am very much in agreement with you on his line.
Although there is no proof I will put a caveat against the following in the family tree, being my hunch as a "possible" mother:
Elizabeth birth-1826 Kendal to Richard & Mary WILSON (England Births & Christenings 1538-1975)
              bp-12 Feb 1826 Kendal...............................(----------------------"--------------------)
             1841 Census - living with Margaret SWAILES & Alice SAVAGE both Grocers in Finkle Street, Kendal.
              6 May 1843 possible birth of son Richard WILSON (GRO: Jun 1843 Kendal Vol 25 Pg 481).
              died-1845 Kendal age 19 (GRO: Dec Kendal Vol 25 Pg 365).
As previously mentioned there were three other Elizabeth WILSONs who died in 1845, but my "possible" could fit the bill re adoption cause (no father).
The link between the WILSONs of Kendal and the WARDs of Middleton, Lancashire now becomes a brickwall, all one can do is kick a ball against it :-\
Many thanks.

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
The Elizabeth WILSON who died within the Kendal registration district (Dec 1/4, 1845, aged 19) was the daughter of James WILSON (maltster and miller) of Viver, Heversham. She died on Christmas day. Her father died at Viver on the 30 Mar 1838 (aged 53) and her brother James died at Croft farm, Leasgill on the 10 Feb 1846 (aged 28, of small pox). Neither James left a will, yet administration bonds exist for both.

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 January 19 22:04 GMT (UK) »
maddys52
rosie99
fretep
bitzar
1. Much water has flown under the bridge since our last contact with regard to Richard Wilson WARD (RWW)(1843-1917). Because the initial adoption of RW by the WARD family will never be 100% perfect, because of non-existence of adoption laws, I decided to give the matter a rest until recently.
2. I have read our 34 posts time and again and decided to concentrate on two of your leads:
  a.  Richard WILSON born 6 May 1843 and baptised 28 May 1843 in Kendal.
  b.      "           "       adopted by John & Mary WARD in Chadderton (1851 Census) and listed as     Richard W WARD (on later marriage Richard and his wife produced a daughter with WILSON as a middle name).
3.  By taking the Para 2 path I have obtained the birth certificate for Richard WILSON and surprise, surprise, he was born 6 May 1843 in the Kendal Workhouse to Elizabeth WILSON - no father's name appears on the certificate - rosie's reply #9 supported this possibility.
4.  We can guess on the details of Elizabeth but maddy's reply #10 adds fuel to the fire.  Having said that, there are three other Elizabeth WILSON deaths in 1845 in the Mar/Jun & Dec qtrs and a further one who died in 4th qtr 1846 all in Kendal.
5.  Having obtained what I believe is my RWW's birth certificate,as his potential mother gave birth in the Workhouse, records should give dates of admission/departure or even deaths.  I have Googled Westmorland/Kendal/Workhouses and obtained details of at least three workhouses in and around Kendal.  Can anyone suggest where I may be able to interrogate Union Workhouse 'Guest lists."
6.  Happy New year to you all from Middle Earth 8) and many thanks for your past leads and guidance.