Author Topic: Frederick Henry Marshall, Beeford  (Read 1515 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Henry Marshall, Beeford
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a record on a member tree on the Ancestry website that I think might show a relative of mine.  This record is for one Frederick Henry Marshall b 1863 at Beeford, Yorkshire (I think this birth actually happened in late 1862).  There is a baptism on the member tree also - 8 January 1863 at Beeford. 

I am very wary of member trees as I have found so many mistakes on them.  Could someone look this up for me?  It would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Christine

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Henry Marshall, Beeford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
An image of his birth certificate is attached to an online tree. He was born 21 Oct 1862 at Beeford to Ann "Marshill" of Beeford - no occupation, maiden name, address or father stated.  His birth reg is as Frederick Henry Marshill, Dec qtr 1862 Driffield.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I had not seen the cert.  This is the person I have been looking for.  He was the brother of my gt grandfather.  He was indeed illegitemate, and his mother was Ann Marshall.

Again thanks,

Christine

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,
I can help you out with your query.  Fredrick Henry Marshall was the son of David Marshall & Ann Elizabeth Marshall, born 21 Oct 1862 & Bapt 08 Jan 1863 Beeford.  The reason you only have Ann Marshall's name on his certificate was that David Marshall died Dec Qtr 1862.
David was Bapt 05 Oct 1837 Beeford and married 10 May 1858 Beeford.  Ann Elizabeth Wood was bapt 05 Sept 1837 Middleton on the Wolds, daughter of Robert Wood & Maria "Mary" Norris all Parish Record entries, which is where she comes into my tree, Norris being my Great Grandmothers surname.
It is possible that the family tree on Ancestry is mine.  If i can help any further you let me know,
Best,
gogogadgetlegs (Phil)
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
I appreciate your help.  Ann Elizabeth and David Marshall were my 2x gt grandparents.  My mother's maiden name was Marshall.  Frederick Henry has been a puzzle to me, as I have never been able to find out what happened to him following the 1881 census, when he was living with his family in Bradford.  And also of course until now I had not been able to pin a birth or baptism record on him. 
I have been in touch with relatives in Australia and New Zealand, and we tentatively believe that David Marshall died in 1860, aged about 23.  If Frederick was illegitimate, he was not the only one of Ann's children to be so, as she had had a daughter named Cecily before her marriage to David.  I'm prepared to be proved wrong about Frederick's paternity though!
Do you have a death cert for David?
David and Ann's son David was born in Skirlaugh Workhouse in April 1861.  My relatives and I thought that this was because his father had died and Ann had nowhere else to go. 
Again thank you for your help.  It is much appreciated!
Christine

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, this is the result (from the new GRO facility) for a David Marshall dying 1861 +/- 1 year.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help!  I tentatively believe that David died in 1860, but we will see.  Some of the members of this family have been bothersome to locate, so it is great to have other minds working on the conundrums.
Thanks again!
Christine

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 May 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Has Ann been found in the 1861 census - and if so what is her marital status said to be?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
She has been found in the 1861 census.  She was an inmate at Skirlaugh Workhouse, with her 2 daughters Cecily and Maria.  She was on the verge of giving birth to her son David.  She was listed as a widow.

C