Author Topic: Elizabeth Selby Hood? 2nd Daughter of Mr Hood, late of Kilfinnan, Scotland  (Read 4026 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Selby Hood? 2nd Daughter of Mr Hood, late of Kilfinnan, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 May 17 01:21 BST (UK) »

He could well be Annie, we can't find a baptism for Elizabeth to prove one way or another, so aren't sure who her father is.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 May 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Claire,

My thinking is that 'Hood' is not a typical Scottish Highland surname i.e. may have been draughted in from another area by the MacDonell/Clanranald family  ???

Such a pity there's no DC with father's occ.  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 May 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica, Annie and Claire

Thanks for the replies and others who have looked at this.

I think my original post might have misled you a bit?

I was not really saying John Hood was the father of Elizabeth Selby Hood who died in 1828 and was buried at Newcastle upon Tyne.

Her newspaper death notice (featured in my 1st post) just says that her father was Mr Hood late of Kilfinnan, Scotland.

When I looked at the index and map, there was a place spelt Kilfinnan near Invergarry Fort Agustus and I felt I ought to mention that I had found a John Hood at nearby Invergarry House.

However, I don't know (apart from the unknown Mr Hood late of Kilfinnan) who her parentage (of Elizabeth Selby Hood) was.

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 May 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Because Mr Hood (Father of Elizabeth Selby Hood born about 1790) was late of Kilfinnan, Scotland, then Mr Hood could of been in an 'irregular marriage' or 'informal marriage' with the mother in Scotland and because of this, there will be NO Mr Hood = Miss Selby marriage record either?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 May 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't completely dismiss Kilfinan in Argyll. It is sometimes spelt with two 'n's as well.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Because Mr Hood (Father of Elizabeth Selby Hood born about 1790) was late of Kilfinnan, Scotland, then Mr Hood could of been in an 'irregular marriage' or 'informal marriage' with the mother in Scotland and because of this, there will be NO Mr Hood = Miss Selby marriage record either?

Before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855, more likely if the parents' marriage took place in Scotland and was actually recorded (only about a third of BMD events were pre 1855)  in the Parish Registers, the register could well have been lost or destroyed over the years. The main Parish Registers as also for the established Church of Scotland, ie presbyterian.

The Selby name could come from further back the generations such as a maternal grandmother perhaps rather than a Selby bride.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
The wills index on Scotlands People has an entry for a John Hood 22 Sept 1840 - factor for Glengarry (Inverness Sheriff Court). Might be worth looking at the document if only to rule him out.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Would help to have an indication on that John Hood's age. He keeps on popping up!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:54 BST (UK) »

The Selby name could come from further back the generations such as a maternal grandmother perhaps rather than a Selby bride.

Monica

Thank you for all for these replies.

Although, I am no longer looking at Selby Hood, I am particularly interested in your comment Monica that the middle surname (in naming sequences) can denote ancestry further back.

Although, we have also been looking at James Goldie Hood of Hessle, Yorkshire (origin Dumfries), I noticed this was the case with the surname Goldie in a book of Memorial Inscriptions, that the Goldie surname was not the previous immediate generation (his parents). Reply #16 ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780131.msg6458356#msg6458356

-----------

My Grandmother claimed that my HOODs of Selby were of Scottish origin and we are stuck at a Selby, Yorkshire, marriage by Licence, 18th July 1815, George HOOD aged 28, to Sarah RUSSELL.

Sarah RUSSELL was local (baptised Selby 1793).

I am descended from their Son John HOOD.

However, Son James HOOD used middle name (mostly surname) for many of his children with Sarah Hood (nee ARUNDEL).

The two unused surnames are COOK and PEARSON, which it seems can only be connected to George HOOD's line. Reply #542 ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6274021#msg6274021

There is an earlier HOOD & PEARSON marriage at Beverley, Yorkshire, but no Yorkshire or other proveable Birth record of George HOOD circa 1785 to 1787. I suspect Nonconformism and possibly local to Selby.

However, I am obviously very interested in your comment, Monica (quoted).

Also the Quaker Burial Ground at Selby was cleared (visited). The September 1845 Burial Note, Death Certificate (aged 60 years) and newspaper notice gives brief information (see notes bottom of my posts), but not his parentage.

The Selby Quaker M.I. survey was too recent and the Grave Plan is missing in the Selby Quaker records.

Mark