Author Topic: Looking for a Mary maiden name Brennan in Mobile Alabama  (Read 1663 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Mary maiden name Brennan in Mobile Alabama
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
I just have the feeling because she only mentioned Jeremiah other than family in Brisbane who would have been mentioned in the letter to her that she could have gone over to US with Jeremiah and the shipping record of 1852 fits.  I have only recently learned that census records are free on findmypast if I go into the US site rather than the Australian one so looked for her still in New York as a single woman in 1860 but no one there fits.  All the Mary Brennans I've looked at are wives.  There is one in New York 1855 census that I haven't checked as need subscription to access it.  Other than that I think she may have married so would not be Brennan in Mobile in 1908.  The Jeremiah that I found in New York earlier was married to a Margaret but having trouble finding the census record now.  If I can find him in 1855 she may still be nearby otherwise need to look for a marriage for her.
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
I found a shipping record which I am hoping is them
Jeremiah Brennan, labourer, aged 30, and Mary Brennan, labourer, aged 24, listed as passengers departing from Cork, Ireland, on board the ship “Lawrence,” arriving in New York on 11th May 1852.
 Dunbrody Irish Emigrant Records
This indicates she was born c 1828 which would fit in with what I know of other siblings.  I assume she was born in the area of Scarteen, parish Newmarket, Cork, Ireland.

New York Passenger List
Departed Cork, Ireland arrived New York 11 May 1852 on board the St Lawrence
Jeremiah Brennan, age 30
Mary Brennan, age 24
  Note:  There is nothing to indicate if they were husband and wife or brother and sister.

Could this be the above Mary, or is it just a coincidence with names? (Some details don't match up)
New York Emigrant Savings Bank Records
Mary Brennan (signed her mark), 28 Madison? St.  Occupation: Domestic
Born: 1831, Co. Cork
Arrd: 1851, "St Lawrence"
Father: James
Mother Mary Myland
Dated:  Mary 12, 1864

Update:  There's also a possibility that your Mary lived in Canada prior to living in/visiting Mobile.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa That all sounds good except for mother's name.  I wonder if it could be a poor transcription of something hard to read.  If it is the one I'm looking for father is James but mother Ellen McAuliffe.  Ages are often out so don't take much notice of a few years difference there.  Shipping only  small discrepancy so I'd accept that.  I would love to get hold of the original & see if that mothers name could be different.  I'll also look into Canada next week.
Thanks for all your help.  Don't worry too much though I'm busy with othrr commitments for next few days so can't check much.  Cheers. Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 May 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
I believe the image on the pay site is the original image and it does look like the mother's name was Mary Myland.   :-\

Update:  there are two images.  The second one states that she was Single.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa.  I wonder if James Brennan married twice.  I have Ellen McAuliffe on a death cert in Australia for Mary's brother Dan but I suppose she could be a half sister.  I intend to do some more digging into the idea she could have been a nun if I can find the age has been incorrectly recorded in that Mobile Alabama record.  Rereading the letter we have I see she mentions having a Mass said for her deceased sister Kate who had died in Australia.  That certainly fits with the possibility she was a nun. 
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards, Carmel

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 May 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if James Brennan married twice.  I have Ellen McAuliffe on a death cert in Australia for Mary's brother Dan but I suppose she could be a half sister.  I intend to do some more digging into the idea she could have been a nun if I can find the age has been incorrectly recorded in that Mobile Alabama record.

New York Emigrant Savings Bank Records
Mary Brennan (signed her mark), 28 Madison? St.  Occupation: Domestic
Born: 1831, Co. Cork
Arrd: 1851, "St Lawrence"
Father: James
Mother Mary Myland
Dated:  Mary 12, 1864

Again, the information doesn't quite add up, but I wonder if this could be Mary?  A "pay site" has the following:
Mary Brennan, baptism, age 0, baptism date and place 18 September 1825 Newmarket, Cork, Ireland.
Residence:  Gooseberry Hill
Parents: James Brennan and Mary Marghan
  Looking at the image, the mother's name possibly could be Moylan  :-\

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 May 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa,. I will look into that.  Gooseberry Hill certainly isn't far from where they were.  Also we have to think of how names sounded to various people who were writing down details and also there is quite a lot of variation in spelling of different branches of same families when we compare Gaelic with English especially.
  Nearly all my Irish ancestors also have 2 different Christian names that they are known by in various records which certainly made tracing them interesting in the early days of my research. So I would be ready to believe all sorts of interpretation for surnames as well. I've just read an article that made me realise I need to be looking for my great-grandfather's baptism with father Thady instead of Timothy. 

I tried to edit my last post as when I checked findagrave I saw that Mary who was the nun in the census at  Mobile was buried there & definitely not mine as she died in the 1930s.  The edit obviously didn't work. The cemetery has a lot of nuns but no other Brennan so maybe she wasn't a nun.  She was quite elderly when writing in 1907-08 so I would have thought she would likely have stayed at Mobile & be buried there.

Thanks again for all your help. What part of California are you in?  My son lives in San Jose & works for Google. I've been over to visit twice in the 4 1/2 years he has been there.
Kind regards, Carmel