Author Topic: Different DNA Test, Different Results  (Read 24131 times)

Offline Will Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Different DNA Test, Different Results
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
What is going on. I have very different DNA result for all 3 companies that I have used. This is now making my doubt this whole DNA thing. Can someone please try and explain to me what is going on ? Here are my results.
Thanks.

My Family Tree (Autosomal) DNA came out as 99% British.

I also did Ancestry and my DNA and results were,
Great Britain 39%
Scandinavia 26%
Europe West 13%
Ireland 9%
Iberian Peninsula 8%
Low Confidence Region
Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
Europe East 1%
Italy/Greece 1%

Then there are my 23 and Me Results. Different again
British & Irish
55.3%
Scandinavian
11.8%
French & German
10.8%
Broadly Northwestern European
21.2%
Eastern European
0.8%
Sub-Saharan African
< 0.1%
Middle Eastern & North African
< 0.1%

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Different DNA Test, Different Results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
What you have discovered is what we all find out eventually and that is that DNA cannot give you your ethnic inheritance. What these DNA testing companies give you is their best guess based on the algorithms they use and their sometimes very small sample populations on which they base their definitions of one ethnicity or another.

Of course it gets better as periodically the companies recalculate ethnicities and you can suddenly find your alleged ethnicity changes significantly.

The truth is the science is no where near as advanced as it needs to be to make the claims the companies are making. They are in short snake oil companies selling near worthless products to the gullible. That said I still think its worth testing as you get an idea and maybe even a surprise or two and the accumulating collection of tests results may lead to better predictions in the future but in the meantime these ethnicity DNA results should just be treated as a bit of fun and not taken at all seriously.

This is just my personal view so anyone please do not be offended if you do not agree with it
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Will Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks David. All opinions are important.  ;)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
The different results don't surprise me.
In any case, knowing "your" DNA profile is not really all that helpful with tracing your own direct ancestry -
- but it's a nice, not-so-little earner!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Each company uses different algorithms and different reference populations. They also cover different time periods. Most people do get very different results from each company. These admixture reports are a bonus feature. The main reason for testing is to get the DNA matches.

I wrote a blog post comparing my results and I included links to various resources for further reading:

https://cruwys.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/comparing-admixture-results-from.html
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, and especially for the link to Debbie's blog.  I've just done an autosomal test with Ancestry so while I wait for the results I thought I'd do some reading on the subject. 

While I'm more interested in cousin matches and finding people who are researching the same ancestors the ethnic inheritance question is also interesting.  Like Debbie my documented roots are very English - 31/32 of my 3x great grandparents were born in England with the remaining one born in Wales.  On branches where I've gone back further everyone has been born in England.  It'll be interesting what Ancestry tell my about my ethnic inheritance!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
I think I've just saved some money...just when I was getting almost on the part-way road to maybe getting perhaps tested.  Possibly.

Martin

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
  While I think it is great if people want to do this for themselves, it seems expensive and also rather unsettling that someone in an official status (or not)... might one day be able to demand or even buy these results and have my DNA.
  A few distant cousins have found me because they have the DNA of other cousins who have already contacted me...but truthfully, more contacts have been made from being right here on Rootschat or from other online information.  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bwcw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanx for this post, i was thinking of getting mine done but hesitated for these same reasons, looks like the companies just want our money. Don't think i will bother now.
Hardwell, ball, cole