Author Topic: Help identifying soldier's country of origin  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Lymond100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identifying soldier's country of origin
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this is the right forum for this but ... in my Grandfather's papers was a photo of an asian soldier with some script on the back.  My grandpa was in the IAOC during the 2WW and from letters I know he and his corps were sent to Burma during the Imphal battle time period.  I have always assumed that the pic is of a friendly soldier, but the script doesn't look Burmese.  If I post the pic and the script, which forum would be best to get a reply to what nationality the soldier is and (if possible) what the script says.
Thanks

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying soldier's country of origin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
I would post it here since it's WW2-related.

Oddly enough I too have a sheet of paper from my father's time in the Far East which has ?Japanese or ?Chinese characters on one side, so it will be interesting to see your picture to see if there's any resemblance.

RRTB

Offline Lymond100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi RRTB

Have tried to attach the pic but I can't get the file cropped small enough to upload.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi RRTB

Have tried to attach the pic but I can't get the file cropped small enough to upload.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

I usually resize my images if they're too large.  Depending on your software.  Open up the original jpg and look for the tab at the top that says either "image" or "picture".
Click on it and then scroll down to "resize".
When that opens, tick on "percentage"
There's the option of choosing the percentage, depending on the image you could play with 85% say or 78% say.  I usually "save as" the new size and also "save unchanged" the original.

Give the decreased sized image a new name - or just add a letter/number after the original name.  You need to do that otherwise you wont be able to upload the new image as rootschat already has that original name on file.

Check with the new jpg image properties that the percentage size you've chosen is suitable for uploading.

Hope that helps.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Lymond100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Ok, well I've fiddled and fiddled, and have had to split the script into two halves, top and bottom.  Hoping someone can make some sense of it!  I've been told by someone on Reddit that it is Japanese, definitely not Burmese.  Hoping someone can shed light on what it says (or knows someone who can!)

Here is the soldier.   Script in next message as it still keeps giving me an error message.

Thanks

Offline Lymond100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
And here is the script, top and bottom.

Sorry they look too large, but right clicking and opening them in a new tab gives you the whole image.

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Well, the collar tab with the three stars on it would suggest that this soldier is a Superior Private in the Japanese army.

RRTB

Offline Lymond100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you RRTB.  I wondered whether it was an 'enemy' photo, but he looks so composed that I thought it might be a friendly soldier, someone Grandpa worked with.  Unfortunately he isn't here to ask, so unless someone can interpret the writing I will just have to wonder - did he find it and keep it, did the person in the picture give it to him on capture or what?!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Lymond, if I were you I would change your subject to "Japanese translation request" or something similar. That will attract the attention of anyone able to translate this for you. Someone is sure to be able to do so.

You may even be able to find something online which will translate Japanese characters.