Author Topic: Understanding my Ancestry DNA results  (Read 2559 times)

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding my Ancestry DNA results
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
I received my Ancestry DNA results yesterday and am still finding it very confusing.
So far I have found my Ethnicity Estimate, my Genetic Communities and DNA Matches (of which there are 81 possible 4th cousins or closer).
Of the highest first five to whom I sent a message I have had one positive reply. Two others could not find me on their tree,
And I don't understand how I access the green 'View Match' box.
Would it make a difference that I had a different name at birth, I wonder?
Can anyone help me, please?
VDP

Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding my Ancestry DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
I am genuinely befuddled why people test on Ancestry and then come on here and ask people to explain the results.

There are lots of ways on Ancestry to find out what your results mean and indeed you may bump into a relative along the way.

If you had explored all Ancestry had to offer and still had questions I could understand the post but not when you have barely started out.

You have paid for an Ancestry subscription, why not use it?

(BTW not trying to discourage anyone from using Rootschat just don't understand why people pay for one site then go to a free site for advice etc)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
I am genuinely befuddled why people test on Ancestry and then come on here and ask people to explain the results.

There are lots of ways on Ancestry to find out what your results mean and indeed you may bump into a relative along the way.

If you had explored all Ancestry had to offer and still had questions I could understand the post but not when you have barely started out.

You have paid for an Ancestry subscription, why not use it?

(BTW not trying to discourage anyone from using Rootschat just don't understand why people pay for one site then go to a free site for advice etc)

Thank you for your reply is all I am going to say.
VDP
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Have you clicked on the  green'view match' box. It just shows the other person's tree if available. It does sound misleading doesn't it as though you are going to see the person who connects you.
If your matches have trees it would be worthwhile going through theirs looking for names or places which might be common to you both.
I am learning as you are though  ;)

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 May 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
I received my Ancestry DNA results yesterday and am still finding it very confusing.
So far I have found my Ethnicity Estimate, my Genetic Communities and DNA Matches (of which there are 81 possible 4th cousins or closer).
Of the highest first five to whom I sent a message I have had one positive reply. Two others could not find me on their tree,
VDP
Hi VDP,
   I am not sure form your post exactly what you have looked at on the Ancestry site or where you are trying to get to exactly. But here goes what I think you are asking for.

Assuming you are starting first DNA page, the one with the Ethnicity Estimate, my Genetic Communities, matches and DNA Circles boxes, you should be able to either click on any of the 3 links in the Matches box, or the 'View all DNA matches' button. this will take you to lists of your matches, with different filters applied, but they all work then in the same way. Now on this list you should have a box for each person with there 'name', the possible relationship and confidence levels, and then the 'View match' button. Clicking either the 'name' or button will take you to the details page for the match, which include any details from there trees (if they have one linked), details of shared matches and details of places (again only if they have a tree).  You can then either click again on the name to get to the persons ancestry profile, or if they have a tree go click on people on there tree to get more details from the tree.

Hope this helps

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
click angina on the name

Made me chuckle  ;D

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
VDP

Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,