Author Topic: Cazza59s unsolved WAIs  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cazza59s unsolved WAIs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
Shaun, if I am thinking of the right one with the mountain in the background, I think it was solved - a hotel in Scotland if I remember correctly.  :-\

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Oh ok,

Well all I was going to add on the house with the tower was that somebody mentioned it could be near water, and the tower could be a viewing point. Also somebody mentioned that the chimney covers meant it could be a windy area. (which could connect with it being by water). Anyway there is a house near where I live in Kent that has a grade II listed Tower at the rear of there property. It is octagonal in shape but looks like it has similarities in size and design etc. The octagonal tower was built for the purpose of having river views over the Thames.

Please see attachemnt and description that has been copy and pasted.

"989/9/10017 Octagonal Tower in the
grounds of The Warren

II

Gazebo. Late C18 or early C19 with windows and roof covering replaced in early C20. Built of flint with red brick dressings and plaintiled roof. Octagonal in plan. One storey and basement. Continuous wooden casement to three sides. Entrance up stairs to rear. This building was originally sited in Ingress Park and was positioned to take advantage of views of the River Thames. Sir William Chambers is known to have designed an enlargement of the house and garden buildings about 1772 but this building cannot at present be positively identified as his work."

Shaun

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thinking about the thatched house , aren't the only ones left standing now in Oxfordshire and Lincolnshire ? . Of course I'm probably wrong. ;D

I'm very much afraid that you are wrong  :)
Thanks for correcting me JenB  .

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Further to No 12 - I have just found this, which could put us in the right area.
The first photo is a drawing of a bungalow estate which was built in the 1860s in Birchington.
The second photo is taken of the Beresford hotel [a bungalow hotel] in Birchington in 1951.
What do you think?
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
Love how dedicated you all are!  Wouldn't it be amazing if we got a new member one day and they saw No. 12 and went "Ah, I know that place...."!   Can't see it happening myself!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 May 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Please post some new WAIs Caz.  ;)

I think you might be right in saying that one day someone will just find this thread and say "I recognise that house/church" or whatever. I hope so anyway.  :D

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 May 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
This may be the one Shaun meant,not one of Cazza59's I think.

Regards
Roger

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 May 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi to all WAI fans but especially to WAI No.12 addicts

The attached link has a resemblance to WAI No.12.

It is a recent image of a house built in the 1920's but has been 'substantially extended', according to the sales brochure.

Could that mean it has been extended to the front line of the property? Possibly extending the front line of the house as we see it on Cazza's photograph, demolishing the tower and last right hand bay to incorporate an extension which houses an indoor swimming pool?

Integral garages have been incorporated to the rear (which is essentially the front of the property). Could this have been a conversion of part of the right hand side of the house?

Could this be my wishful thinking in the search for WAI no.12

I've mulled this image over for almost a week but am still undecided if it's a yes or no! Bearing in mind that substantial changes can be made to a property in almost 100 years to adapt it to modern day living.

I'll leave it to you guys for the decision.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k37/

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717629.msg5613588#msg5613588

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 May 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
This may be the one Shaun meant,not one of Cazza59's I think.

Regards
Roger

This one is mine Roger....still unsolved...I did raise it again but there was no takers, so I doubt it will be found.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU