Author Topic: Headstone of Richard Bray  (Read 854 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Headstone of Richard Bray
« on: Thursday 04 May 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Can someone please be able to read what is written on here ;)

Thanks
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone of Richard Bray
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
I've given it more contrast,  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline dafydd46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Probably not much better, but applied some perspective correction in case it helps.
dafydd46.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
I’ve played around with various enhancement tools and I think the words are:

Sacred
to the Memory of
Richard Farmer Bray
Son of
William and Sarah Bray
Who departed this life
February the 19th 1836
In the 64th year of his life

… which would accord with the Richard Farmer Bray baptised to William and Sarah 25 March 1773 at Leire, Leicester.

Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
I had a go (in Lightroom & Photoshop) but I didn't get very far. I'm amazed you managed to get this amount of detail out of the photo! Out of curiosity (and to learn from you) which enhancement tools did you use?  If this is an OT question, you can PM me.

Thanks,

Mike

I’ve played around with various enhancement tools and I think the words are:

Sacred
to the Memory of
Richard Farmer Bray
Son of
William and Sarah Bray
Who departed this life
February the 19th 1836
In the 64th year of his life

… which would accord with the Richard Farmer Bray baptised to William and Sarah 25 March 1773 at Leire, Leicester.

Cheers, Peter
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
I've had a go at re-aligning the image and trying to make the words clearer that Peter has been able to distinguish.
I think there are some more words at the very bottom of the stone, but they are hard to make out at the angle the photo has been taken.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. 
Sadly the gentleman who took the photo's for me forgot to write down the inscriptions.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 May 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mike (Mike Morrell (NL) above).

It was a bit of a process, part clarification, part deduction.

The program I, and I think many others on here, use is Photoshop Elements.

I tried various combinations of the “enhancement tools” - “auto” tools such as “auto smart fix”, “auto smart tone”, “auto contrast” and “auto sharpen” plus the manual adjustment tools for lighting, contrast and sharpening. I tried the combinations with both a colour image and a black and white one. I could see some words better with some combinations, other words with others.

I came up with enough words that I could then make an educated guess as to what the others should be. I then went back through the tools to try to “see” what I had deduced.

In the end I could see all but three words and the year fairly clearly. “Departed” is still hard to see but in context it’s the only thing that fits. The first “life” still looks more like “died” to me but “life” makes more sense. “February” is also hard but you can see enough of it that it’s the only month that fits. I couldn’t see the year clearly so took to familysearch.org to find Richard Farmer Bray. After the event I decided that yes, it does look like 1836.

(And, no, I can’t see what it says down the bottom of the headstone. Bugger!)

I’m pretty much a novice myself to restorations - now addicted, I think - and although I was aware there was a tool to adjust perspective - as dafydd46 did - I didn’t know where to find it; it would probably have saved a bit of time.

I think the above process is quite akin to the one you go through when trying to tidy up a bad photograph. You first try to clarify parts of the image so that you can “see” it in your mind; sometimes you still can’t see what’s in that dark or destroyed corner so you make an educated guess.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline dafydd46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
I will agree with the wording! I've had another go, really just for my own satisfaction.
Perspective correction using Hugin, then pulled into the GIMP. Duplicated layer and put the top layer into multiply mode. Then flattened the layers, followed by much playing with curves. Noise reduction with the G'MIC plugin - Iain's Noise Reduction and finally a lot of wavelet sharpening.
After all that not a great deal better, and I still can't read the words at the bottom!

dafydd46.