Author Topic: Lanercost baptism register - Potts - 1814 and 1803-1811  (Read 1993 times)

Offline hollycochran

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Lanercost baptism register - Potts - 1814 and 1803-1811
« on: Thursday 04 May 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
If anybody has access to the parish registers of Lanercost, I would love to have the details of these 2 baptisms:
baptism of Thomas Potts on 18 Sep 1814 to William and Grace Potts - all that's missing is Wm's occupation and their abode

Any 2 of the following baptisms to William Potts and Grace Elwood - I don't need them all; I'm hoping one will give additional information and a 2nd one will confirm rather than contradict said info:
21 July 1803 Mary Ann Potts and Grace Potts
2 April 1804 William Potts
24 March 1808 Richard Potts
7 May 1805 Jane to Potts
1 Apr 1806 Margaret Potts
12 Feb 1807 John Potts
3 Sep 1811 Frederick Potts

I'm used to working with Durham and Northumberland records - did this part of Cumberland provide, in the 1798-1812 period, baptism details such as birthplaces of the parents or names of the grandfathers?

Thanks heaps in advance,
Holly

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lanercost baptism register - Potts - 1814 and 1803-1811
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly
not baptisms, unfortunately, but a gravestone inscription from Lanercost which sounds like this family, which confirms they were from Wintershields?
cheers
robbiesmum

Erected in memory of William POTTS formerly of Wintershields who died in Carlisle Jan 26th 1831 aged 53 years. Also Grace his daughter who died in Carlisle June 13th 1820 aged 17 years. Also William his son who died at Callio in Peru Oct 2nd 1824 aged 19 years. Also Jane John and Ellwood who died in their infancy. Also William son of Joseph POTTS and grandson of the above named William POTTS who died at Brugh Aug 31st 1837 aged 11 years. Also Joseph Ellwood POTTS who died at Clarks Hill June 13th 1861 aged 62 years.

September 9th 1837 Carlisle Patriot
An inquest was held at Beaumont near Carlisle on the 2nd instant before William Carrick Esq. coroner, on the body of William Potts, a youth ten years of age, who was drowned in the canal at Burgh the preceding day. The deceased was employed at Mr William’s chemical works at Burgh, and whilst in the act of cleaning casks in shallow water, between the fender adjoining one of the bridges, incautiously, during the absence of another workman, ventured to the extremity of the frame work and fell into the middle of the channel. He was not missed until four hours afterwards, and when found was of course quite dead. Verdict - accidental death.

Offline hollycochran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
robbiesmum - Those are great pieces of information, and definitely the same family. Thank you so much!
Holly

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
As luck would have it, I was going through the register at a FamilySearch Family History Centre yesterday and saved many of the years you've asked for (1802-1807). This one is for Mary Ann but all the others give the same extra info: Mary Ann, Daughter of William Potts of Wintershields, Farmer and Grace his wife, late Elwood.

robbiesmum - assuming you have an MI book for Lanercost, could you please look up James Davidson who was buried 10 September 1821? I've assumed his is the completely unreadable headstone next to a family member but I'm hoping it was more readable at the time inscriptions were made.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
sorry, I don't have a MI book for Lanercost, just a lot of photos of gravestones I took a few years ago. What is the name of the family member next to the possible Davidson stone? I could go through and look at my photos for you.
robbiesmum

Offline hollycochran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
lanercost - thank you so much; that's exactly what I needed to know, and I have found Thomas's 1814 baptism on another site, so yay!

Holly

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
sorry, I don't have a MI book for Lanercost, just a lot of photos of gravestones I took a few years ago. What is the name of the family member next to the possible Davidson stone? I could go through and look at my photos for you.
robbiesmum

Thanks anyway robbiesmum but not to worry, it wouldn't have been readable a few years ago. I was able to visit in 2015 and this one was too far gone.

lanercost - thank you so much; that's exactly what I needed to know, and I have found Thomas's 1814 baptism on another site, so yay!

Holly

Glad to hear it hollycochran. If you're ever able to, take a trip to Lanercost Priory. It's really special, hence my username :)