Author Topic: Related? DNA advice required from GEDmatch one-to-one  (Read 2613 times)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Related? DNA advice required from GEDmatch one-to-one
« on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I am trying to verify a link on my tree with GEDmatch, first of all I did the standard 7cm and it came back with no match, then I changed it to 2cm and it came back with 8 matches. The person in question is my 3rd cousin once removed (I think!!).

2   35,978,812   40,182,609   4.9   530
2   136,693,406   139,772,775   2.6   318
3   127,857,545   133,325,794   4.5   450
5   98,516,161   104,908,414   3.9   435
8   60,349,843   64,249,830   3.7   365
10   26,818,612   29,675,862   3.9   392
14   77,846,493   81,003,200   3.2   331
21   28,135,194   31,565,917   3.1   320
Largest segment = 4.9 cM
Total of segments > 2 cM = 29.8 cM
8 matching segments

I would welcome any help as looking at dna makes my head hurt, it's all alien to me.

Many thanks.
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Related? DNA advice required from GEDmatch one-to-one
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
When you do a One-to-many DNA comparison on the results page the following comes up

To qualify as a 'match' in the genealogical time frame, results must have a largest Autosomal segment that has at least 700 SNPs and be at least 7 cM.
It must have BOTH. Results with the largest segment less than 7 cM are highlighted in pink.
In general, the results shown below use thresholds LESS than 7cM / 700 SNPs.
PLEASE verify any result shown on this list with the one-to-one comparison tool before assuming any match is real.
To check the number of SNPs, click on the 'A' on the same line to view the one-to-one comparison detail.

So the first question is have you fully done what is said above ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your reply, I have done the search you advised and have searched for both his name and kit number and neither are there.
Kind regards.
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
OK I am a bit confused now.

I thought you had had your DNA tested. You then loaded the results into Gedmatch and they hit a match with someone who you think may be your 3rd cousin once removed.

Is that correct ?

The match you made must be attached to a name so is it a name unknown to you ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
No sorry, this is a person that I have been in contact with on ancestry due to our family trees matching, I do not have proof that my ancestry does belong to this line so I emailed him and asked if he had or would consider having his DNA tested and he then sent me the GEDmatch kit number so I could compare the dna. Then I got confused and posted the results on my first message here, as I do not know if it means that we are related or not.
Kind regards

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Ok I think I follow.

I think the easiest think is if you can ask him what his kit number is on Gedmatch and then you will see if it comes up in a one to many search. You would also be able to do a one to one search comparing your results to his kit number. That would be far more useful than the data he sent (not really sure why he sent what he did)

The other alternative is to search the results on the one to many test to see if you can see his name or email address (but this is not fool proof as he may have used a different name or email address)

Hope that helps

EDIT. I see you have his kit number so you should be able to do the one to to comparison and directly compare your results to his

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
I do not want to be rude, but the results in my first post ARE the results from the one-2-one comparison between the two dna kits.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 May 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry MissBea I didn't fully understand your post it now turns out.

So you have this person's number and you did a 1 to 1 comparison and what you posted in message 1 is where you both match.

I assume you also did the comparison that told you what distance you were apart and this is where the 3rd cousin once removed comes in ?

If this is all correct then the next thing you need to do is the paper trail. You need to do your tree back far enough so that when you compare it with his tree back a similar distance you will see if you have any common ancestors or even ancestors with the same surname or in the same area. It is not a quick job but can be done if you both know enough of your ancestry

A 3RD cousin once removed and you are talking about going back to one of your great great grandparents and the others great great great grandparents at the very least

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 May 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
On ancestry his great great grandfather is brother to my great grandfather. I asked him if he had his dna tested to see if this relationship can be proven by dna. So the paper relationship was there first. He gave me the kit number for GEDmatch today and I got the results in my first message which is the two kits 121 on 2cM comparison, when I did the standard 7cM comparison it said there was no match. So I started this thread as I wanted to know if we are related or not as evidenced by the dna result in my first post.
I am the first person to admit that I do not understand DNA, and I do not understand what the two results mean. But it says that in the second results that we are matched in 8 segments and the smaller number in the fourth column is the cM amounts.
Many thanks.