Author Topic: Related? DNA advice required from GEDmatch one-to-one  (Read 2617 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Related? DNA advice required from GEDmatch one-to-one
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 May 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
So I get it all now. Yes you are related, yes you have a paper trail, yes you have a DNA match.

The only thing that I thought was a bit off was the low level (ie under 7cM) comparison but that is not a hard and fast rule and the fact that you have matches on 8 segments then strengthens the claim that seemed to be put in question by the under 7cM results. What we inherit is at random. On some occasions you will be lucky to inherit big chunks of the genes but at other times you may just have to accept several smaller segments, but related you are all the same
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 May 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
These one-to-one results do not show that you are a DNA match.  The segments are too short to prove anything.  This doesn't mean you can't be 3C1R because it is possible for 3C1R to not inherit the same DNA.

Have you tried the people who match both kits function?  It might bring up some relatives from this line.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
@hurworth can you explain what 3C1R means? Also how do I find out who matches the both kits? Is that function on the 121 results page?
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
@David - many thanks for your help and advice.
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 May 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
@hurworth can you explain what 3C1R means? Also how do I find out who matches the both kits? Is that function on the 121 results page?
Many thanks

3C1R = third cousin once removed

People who match one or both of two kits is further down the list from one-to-one compare.  Put your kit number in one box and theirs in another.  If you really are related via these gtgt-grandparents there might be others you find this way.

Bear in mind that who match you this way could still be related via a completely different line.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 May 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, only one person came up that matched both kits. Would you be willing to look at the results privately? As I have no idea what they mean.
Many thanks.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 May 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
I'm happy to have a look.  Send me a PM with the details.