Author Topic: To restorers: tips for learning how to restore old photographs?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: To restorers: tips for learning how to restore old photographs?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 May 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
It is  dependent  on the type of restoration tools.

In the old days with PSD 7   it was quiet a laborious task..
But now you can smudge blur and all  sorts with a magic tool, so its not easy to break down the
way an individual goes about the actual repair.
I cannot set up a Utube thingy, ... maybe if I tried!!! but there are lots of them.
EASY 1st steps, I followed myself at one time.

So I imagine thats the way to go.
It would take an awful amount of Roots space to explain thoroughly ::   ;D

xin

otherwise maybe by pm  but I am by far not the best to teach, we had / have some real masters on here.
Just go through the old pages of restorations and you will see some 'smashers' and miraculous work.

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 May 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
There you go
xx
Hello Carol  :)   *** no e :) 

some super work always from you :)

Xin

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank, Carol, these tips are very helpful!

They add to what I've learned so far from YouTube videos. As you say, there's no substitute for experience and learning by doing. But a few pointers like these are useful.

Mike

I lighten the photo first to pick up background detail before repairing in order to preserve the info that is there. If one side of the image has missing or damaged detail such as an eye or an arm, I flip the photo and save with a different file name, bring the image back into the editor then clone the good area from the copy onto the damaged area of the original. Also...I use the dodge tool to whiten eyes and teeth and the burn tool to darken uneven or faded areas of the darker tones. There are no short cuts and there is no substitute for experience which comes with time.
Whatever method you use doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do and learn from your mistakes.
I have binned many restores along the way but learned a lot too. It takes a lot of practise and patience but well worth the effort when you  get results.
We all see things differently and what appeals to one person may not appeal to another so try not to compare your work to what others have produced.

Carol
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 May 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
There you go
xx
Hello Carol  :)   *** no e :) 

some super work always from you :)

Xin

Thanks Xin, how nice of you to say...I can't do much at the moment as I have restorer's shoulder but it's improving.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Christaelrod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Reach me for professional restoration assistance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Try this link for step by step photo restoration process.

Offline edmarco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Photo Restorer at DamagedPhotoRestoration.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike, and everyone in this thread,

Adobe software is really the most suitable for home restoration, I guess.

I use Photoshop mostly, because encounter damages a lot, apply not only color correction. There are some torn photographs, defective because of water, with missing parts, you know, when people don’t storage them accurately.

YouTube tutorials — both time-lapses and detailed ones — offer many tips and background knowledge in photo restoration. As example, discover something from this list of restoration tutorials: https://damagedphotorestoration.com/blog/how-to-guide/photo-restoration-photoshop.html.

Practice and gain your own experience. The best tutorials in the world will worth nothing, if you don’t practice enough. Good luck!  :)

Ed

Offline MaryWilliam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile