Author Topic: Mary Smith - a challenge for fresh eyes.  (Read 2480 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Smith - a challenge for fresh eyes.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Familysearch has Dorothy Saumarez/Laumarez Smith christened in Woodchurch parish (Birkenhead) on 17th March 1881 but her parents are William Saumarez Smith and Florence.

This Dorothy Saumarez Smith died unmarried in Sussex in 1915, so that`s her accounted for.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think Ancestry has the name transcribed as Frederick Tollins son in law of Mary Smith.
His wife is Elizabeth.
Free BMD(and Cheshire BMD) has a marriage in 1908 in Birkenhead for Frederick Collings and Dorothy Elizabeth Smith? This marriage is also on familysearch.
Hope this helps

::)  It`s round and round with these Smiths. I`ve never done a family with so many of them
Still trying to unravel this mystery. I wonder if this is the same Frederick and Elizabeth as parents.
It`s the "Dorothy" that`s messing it all up.

Birth
Frederica M ( Mary) Collins Mother's Maiden Name: Smith
Registration Year: 1912 Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar Registration district: Birkenhead .

Marriages.  Frederica M Collins
Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1941 Registration district: Birkenhead
Spouse:  Frederick J Smith.

Death Frederica Mary Smith
Birth Date:18 Jan 1912 Date of Registration:Jan 1996 Age at Death: 84 Registration district:
Birkenhead

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think Ancestry has the name transcribed as Frederick Tollins son in law of Mary Smith.
His wife is Elizabeth.
Free BMD(and Cheshire BMD) has a marriage in 1908 in Birkenhead for Frederick Collings and Dorothy Elizabeth Smith? This marriage is also on familysearch.

This is the right family. I have found Mary, her son Frederick and Frederica Collins ( child of Elizabeth) in 1939. and when Mary died in 1944 probate names one of her sons.

It was all  a very good match except for Mary`s place of birth, her  abode at baptism was Toxteth. and her marriage 12 Aug 1878.
This Mary was married 22 years so 1889 which is before Elizabeth was born. I think there is an error and it should be 33 years.

I have traced 6 children alive which matches the details.

Elizabeth
John
Mary.
Harriet. (2nd) not at home.
Richard  married
Frederick married.

I have only found 2 of the 5 that have died.
Their first child was Harriet Smith, she was born 1879 .
Death of a Harriet Smith aged 1 was registered in Dec qtr 1880, and another one in 1889 aged 8. Both were in Birkenhead and both ages fit.
William Smith aged 4 was buried 1 May 1902,

Who the other 3 were I have no idea.
I cannot find Richard Smith b 1858 Liverpool and Mary  Smith born 1863 in 1881. Her parents are in Birkenhead, but I have searched   the whole  district and not found them there or any where else.