Author Topic: Catherine MARRIOTT: South Normanton 1 or 2?  (Read 957 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Catherine MARRIOTT: South Normanton 1 or 2?
« on: Thursday 04 May 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
I have run into a bit of a conundrum with marriages in the Mansfield Registration District for the mid 1870s. I have these two:

Catherine MARRIOTT married William HAYWOOD  Mansfield 7b 99 Sep 1875
Catherine MARRIOTT married Matthew HAYES Mansfield 7b 73 Mar 1876

Looking in the 1881 census I find:

Matthew (jnr) and Catherine HAYES living at 16 Birchwood Lane, Alfreton with their 3 children (Arthur Marriott;  Edith Alice; Florence Ellen)
Catherine is aged 28 years and born in South Normanton

Also:

William and Catherine HAYWOOD living at 37 Alfreton Road South Normanton with their 3 chidren (Alice; Hannah M; and Emily) - and grandmother Fanny Marriott
Catherine is aged 24 years and born in South Normanton.

Unfortunately I can only see one Catherine MARRIOTT in the Birth indexes around 1846. So which families do these two girls belong to.

I'm not sure that the reference to Granny Marriott helps either - because that is probably William HAYWOOD's grandmother Frances MARRIOTT.

The older girl (1853) appears to be the daughter of William MARRIOTT and Mary Ann Hind

So, who does the younger Catherine MARRIOTT belong to?

Thank you

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine MARRIOTT: South Normanton 1 or 2?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Possible birth reg: for Catharine Marriott -  Dqtr 1857 Mansfield 7b 49,

mothers maiden name -  Pembleton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are researching the Marriott family - you are presumably following a Catherine from a particular Marriott family so do you have her birthyear/fathers name from earlier censuses?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
The parents of Catharine born 1857 -

Joseph Marriott married Maria Pemberton Jqtr 1856 Mansfield 7B 106.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 May 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Willsmum

I can accept that as a possibility - but I haven't found a wisp of a hint as to where the family might be in the 1861 census. The only Joseph Marriott of that age in my database at the moment was already married to Mary Thornley when this was happening.

Any suggestions?

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan,

The family are transcribed as MARRCOTT on Findmypast, living in S Normanton, Joseph was born c1836, S Normanton, wife Maria c1837, Hardstaff, and daughters Catherine 1857, and Ann c1860, both born in S Normanton.

The family are transcribed as Marriott on Ancestry.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Gee, this gets confusing ... !

Discounting the first two trees I saw "in another place" which attributed Joseph Marriott's wife to be Maria Allen, the new GRO facility have the mother's maiden name for Catharine Marriott (1857) and her younger sister Ann (1860) to be PEMBLETON - although the Marriage index does spell is PEMBERTON.

Also having difficulty tracing the family further forward from the census of 1861 which makes me think that Joseph Marriott could have died in 1862 (listed on FindMyPast in the Derbyshire Registrars Death Index Transcriptions)

Tragic too, as the Catherine Marriott died young in 1886. William married again - but he too died in 1891 - leaving six young daughters between the ages of 15 and 3!

Alan