Author Topic: Cormac McCall in Lancaster Co./Philadelphia  (Read 704 times)

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cormac McCall in Lancaster Co./Philadelphia
« on: Friday 05 May 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to connect the dots on a relative named Cormac McCall who immigrated to the United States from Co. Donegal, Ireland. Here's what I know:

• 1879 - He is born and listed as Cormac McCahil. He is the only person with any variation of this name on record on IrishGenealogy that I can find.
  • 1901 - Living in Ireland as the oldest son of a large family, his name is given as "Cormick Mc Cahill." His age is given as 2 years younger than he really is. He is the only variation of this name listed in the county.
  • 1909 - Cormac travels from Londonderry, Ireland to the U.S. with several family members/neighbors in tow. At this point, he says he's lived in the U.S. since 1905 and gives his last residence as Sansom St., Philadelphia. One assumes he traveled to Ireland and back to help his friends and family make the trip.
  • 1920 & 30 - Cormac revises his immigration year to 1904 on both censuses. He claims to have naturalized. He also ages himself down, first 2 years, then 12.
Now I've been searching around trying to find his initial immigration documentation and I came up with another immigration record from November 1904 for a "Cormack McCahill." This Cormac only says "Donegal" as his place or origin, which isn't very helpful, but I think there's a lot of circumstantial evidence suggesting he's a match:

• It's another trip from Londonderry to New York, like his 1909 trip.
  • The timing is 1904, like the censuses say, but quite close to 1905, as this trip was November.
  • Ancestry transcribes the age here as 73, but it appears to be a 23 in reality. (Several other 2's on the page are similarly sloppy.) This is two years younger than Cormac's actual age, but the 1901 and 1920 censuses also put him as two years younger.
  • IrishGenealogy and the 1901 Census suggest there weren't any other Cormac McCahills in Donegal besides him.
  • He says he's going to stay with an Uncle Cormick McCall in Columbia, Pennsylvania. I know that he would have had an uncle named Cormac.
  • There were only two Cormac McCalls in Columbia that I can find, a father and son who lived at 531 Union Street, slightly further down from the 236 Union Street that this Cormac intended to visit. The fact that there are only two suggests that the nephew who immigrated there didn't stay.
  • The Cormick McCall in Columbia's parents were named William and C Thomas. My Cormac's grandparents were "William and Catherine."
  • A Hugh McCall who lived in Columbia, PA for a time listed his parents as "William McCall and Catherine Thomas," which suggests "C Thomas" was Catherine. My Cormac would have had an uncle named Hugh, born around 1836. This Hugh was born 1839. This Hugh also was from "Mt Charles, Donegal," which is the largest town near where my Cormac was from.
  • The Cormick McCall in Columbia was born in 1828, which matches the "abt 1829" birthdate for my Cormac's uncle.
  • The Cormick McCall in Columbia died in 1906, which might explain why my Cormac ended up in Philadelphia (where I know his mother's brother lived).

Now here's the problem - the Cormick in Columbia has an extensive family, many of whom use Ancestry. There are 11 trees that match. None of them mention my Cormac. Three of them give him quite different siblings than the ones he'd have to have to be my Cormac's uncle. Two of them list him as from an entirely different part of Co. Donegal. Most of them list each other as sources of information and I can't for the life of me find where they would have gotten this information.

I'd like to be able to declare that I've made a match, but the number of people who say otherwise makes me hesitate, especially given that my evidence is circumstantial. Does anyone have any thoughts on other ways I might confirm that the Cormac McCall that immigrated in 1904 to live with his uncle in Columbia is the same as mine?

tl;dr Part of me in concerned the evidence I've built isn't as strong as I think it is when viewed from outside eyes. What do you all think? Can you think of anything I might be missing?

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cormac McCall in Lancaster Co./Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:08 BST (UK) »
1909 - Cormac travels from Londonderry, Ireland to the U.S. with several family members/neighbors in tow. At this point, he says he's lived in the U.S. since 1905 and gives his last residence as Sansom St.,
The 1909 shipping record I am looking at on ancestry has no reference to being in the US previously, in fact in the relevant column he says No. He does say he is going to his Uncle Cormac Mccall at at 236 Union street Columbia
This is how I read it. The woman listed below him is Fanny McClure age 60, Widow of Donegal and she is returning, going to Philadelphia. This information is listed against her name not Cormac's.

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
That's not 1909, it's 1904. The 1904 arrival to the US is on November 15. The 1909 arrival to the US is October 2.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
That's not 1909, it's 1904. The 1904 arrival to the US is on November 15. The 1909 arrival to the US is October 2.

So sorry, got them mixed up. Will have to stop trying to multi task.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:24 BST (UK) »
Nothing to add but do you have anything in the way of an occupation for your man to tie him up across the pond at any time?

I wouldn't get too worried about the variation of spelling as accents have a lot to answer for & 2 is nothing in terms  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
Nothing that seems particularly helpful. In 1901, he's listed as a "Farmer's Son." The 1904 immigrant I'm trying to match is listed as a "Farmer" too, but so is most of Co. Donegal, from my understanding. He's a porter by 1909 and I don't think anything else in his career is useful.

I mentioned the spellings partially so people keeping score at home could follow along, partially because the somewhat unusual "Cormick" was used both for him and this uncle. I also looked for Con and Connie in my search of McCahills in Donegal, but there were none within 10 years of the right age.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
"Now here's the problem - the Cormick in Columbia has an extensive family, many of whom use Ancestry. There are 11 trees that match. None of them mention my Cormac. Three of them give him quite different siblings than the ones he'd have to have to be my Cormac's uncle. Two of them list him as from an entirely different part of Co. Donegal. Most of them list each other as sources of information and I can't for the life of me find where they would have gotten this information"

My advice would be to forget those 11 trees exist as they are likely to be copied from 1 or 2 like sheep with no real investigation  :-\

From what I read, your evidence/circumstantial evidence is pretty solid & as long as you've gone up the ladder by the correct means then there's little else you can do.

We all have ages varying in those times so that's nothing to be worried about either drawing from the circumstantial evidence.

The names/dates/ages/places (in general) all tie in but maybe there's a bonus in the trees you've found as you may actually find something you didn't have/know which is genuine (which you can check out) & can add to what you already have  ;)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if you have found anything on Cormac after 1930 census?

Do you have him on 1940 census, have you found his death, do you know if he was married?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 04:01 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have this World War I Draft Registration Card;

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6KX-KND

Annie