Author Topic: Will of James Heseltine Esquire  (Read 426 times)

Offline macken_h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of James Heseltine Esquire
« on: Friday 05 May 17 06:43 BST (UK) »
I'm finding it difficult to read and transcribe the attached will. I will post what I have been able to decipher to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Hilary

James Heseltine Esquire late His Majesty's Procurator General
The last will and testament of me James Heseltine of Doctors Commons London Esquire. I so give and bequeath to my [dear] wife Frances Heseltine exclusive of == and over and above = [?] provision made for her under [?] [?] of the settlement made [?] to [our] [?]. All my [?] goods [?] [?] and china and also all the wine and other liquors. Goods and chattels whatsoever that should be in or about my dwelling houses in Doctors Commons and at [?] [?] [?] in the County of [Essex?] at that time of my [?]and also my coach and [?] [carriages?]with my [horses?]and all my live stock at [?] [?] aforesaid to and for her own use and [?] fit. Also I do give and bequeath to my said wife the sum of two thousand pounds to be paid to her [?] after my [?] [and?] for her present occasions. To give and [?] to my said wife Frances Heseltine [all?] [that?] my [?] or dwelling house situated at [Walt?] Stow aforesaid together with all the [lands?] now held or which at [?] [time?] of my [?] shall be [?]by [?] [?] with and all [?] [gardens?][?] [?] Stables Coach houses Barns and other [?] [?] [?] [there?] unto belonging or == herewith [?] and also all that my [?] or Dwelling Houses in Doctors Commons [?] aforesaid and all [?][my?] [?][old?][?] and [?] [?][hereunto?] and [?] [unto?] whatsoever

Where I have been unsure I have put the word in brackets with a question mark.

This is the first page and I will upload the 2nd page later.
Thanks,
H

/]
Balfour, Painting. Belin, de Belin. Mackenzie/McKenzie

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of James Heseltine Esquire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is what I have so far I'm struggling with that last line.

James Heseltine Esquire late His Majesty's Procurator General
The last will and testament of me James Heseltine of Doctors Commons London Esquire. I so give and bequeath to my [dear] wife Frances Heseltine exclusive of == and over and above = the provision made for her under and by virtue of the settlement made provisions to [our] marriage. All my household goods plate linen and china and also all the wine and other liquors. Goods and chattels whatsoever that should be in or about my dwelling houses in Doctors Commons and at Walthamstow in the County of Essex at that time of my decease and also my coach and other carriages with my horses and all my live stock at Walthamstow aforesaid to and for her own use and benefit. Also I do give and bequeath to my said wife the sum of two hundred pounds to be paid to her  immediately after my decease for her present occasions. I do  give and devise to my said wife Frances Heseltine all that my messuage  or dwelling house situated at Waltham Stow aforesaid together with all the lands now held or which at the time of my Decease shall be occupied by me therewith and all the gardens orchards Stables Coach houses Barns and other there appointments there unto belonging or == herewith held and also all that my messuage or Dwelling Houses in Doctors Commons  aforesaid and all other my freehold copyhold and leasehold lands tenements and (now?  )(situated?)whatsoever

Ciderdrinker

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
The word giving trouble in the last line, after Tenements, is Hereditaments.

Some further suggestions ...
... I do give and bequeath ...
... the Settlement made previous to our marriage ...
... that shall be in or about my Dwelling Houses ...
... Barns and other the appurtenances thereunto belonging or therewith held ...

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Nice work Ciderdrinker and Bookbox....I don't know how you do  :o
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline macken_h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 03:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to Ciderdrinker and Bookbox for your deciphering. It's very much appreciated.
I've come across another will which is even more difficult to read, which I will post soon. Take a look if you're interested. This one is a few pages long so I'll need to do it in sections.
Again, Thanks,
Hilary
Balfour, Painting. Belin, de Belin. Mackenzie/McKenzie