Author Topic: Isabella Heron born 1924 in New Cumnock  (Read 3539 times)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Heron born 1924 in New Cumnock
« on: Friday 05 May 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChat.

I'm pretty new to Scottish Ancestry and so far I've seen quite a fair few differences between searching Scotland Ancestry and England Ancestry so I'm hoping some people can help here.

I'm looking up a woman by the name of Isabella Heron born 1924 in New Cumnock. I don't know what her parents are called so I have no idea how to take a generation back from this and as I'm sure you all know the Birth Registrations on the Scottish gro don't list Mothers Maiden names which... actually surprised me.

I looked up a male Heron marrying before 1924 and 2 have caught my eye. One in Old Cumnock and one in New Cumnock. I don't know anything about Scottish Geography so I don't know where places in Scotland are without using a map.

I was wondering if people knew any pretty good websites to help me or at least their input on this matter.

Thanks a bunch!
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: [Help Request]Scottish Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi the indexes on SP don't note mothers maiden name but the certificates give you so much more information than English or Welsh certificates.  If you get her actual birth certificate it will give her parent's names and date and place of marriage.

Old and New Cumnock are very close to each other, right next to each other in fact, 7 miles from the centre of one to the centre of the other.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just to add to what PharmaT has posted.

The 100 year rule applies - so you will have to order her birth certificate.

The only other way to view without actually buying it would be to go in person to their centre in Edinburgh or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. Probably not an option for you.

Once you have the information from her birth certificate it is fairly straight forward to register and use the Scotlands People site. You buy blocks of credits.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
How much is a Certificate? and what do the Credits actually do? Do they just supply a preview?
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
I've never actually bought a certificate as I'm close enough to go to the Mitchell. The credits allow you to view scans of the original records for all events that are old enough.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Oh interesting. Thank you :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty new to Scottish Ancestry and so far I've seen quite a fair few differences between searching Scotland Ancestry and England Ancestry so I'm hoping some people can help here.
First of all, forget about Ancestry if you want to do basic research in Scotland.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I'm looking up a woman by the name of Isabella Heron born 1924 in New Cumnock. I don't know what her parents are called so I have no idea how to take a generation back from this and as I'm sure you all know the Birth Registrations on the Scottish gro don't list Mothers Maiden names which... actually surprised me.
Why does that surprise you? Mothers' maiden surnames have only just been made available in the official England and Wales birth indexes before 1911.

The reason for this is that until 1929 the original printed indexes of births in Scotland didn't have this information. Scotland's People are gradually adding this information to the indexes, but it means going back to the original registers, and progress is very slow.

I looked up a male Heron marrying before 1924 and 2 have caught my eye. One in Old Cumnock and one in New Cumnock. I don't know anything about Scottish Geography so I don't know where places in Scotland are without using a map.
Old Cumnock and New Cumnock are both in Ayrshire. See http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/AYR

I was wondering if people knew any pretty good websites to help me or at least their input on this matter.
Scotland's People is the only source of the information you want. It is an excellent web site, but as with all web sites, you need to be aware of its limitations. Once you have got used to it, you will find that the information available from statutory civil birth, marriage and death certificates is far better than what is available for England and Wales. As pharmaT has already said, Scottish certificates give you far more information than English ones.

You won't be able to look at that 1924 birth certificate online, because it is less than 100 years ago. (You can't view marriages less than 75 years ago, or deaths less that 50 years ago, online either).

You can either order a copy, or you can ask if someone who is planning a visit to a Scotland's People Centre would be willing to look it up and transcribe it for you. The former method is quicker and more reliable, but the latter method is cheaper.

You use credits to view the full certificate online, so to get all the information recorded on a certificate will cost you only £1.50. Much better value than buying an English one for £9.25, and you don't have to wait for it to be posted to you!

Did Isabella marry or die in Scotland? If so her marriage and death certificates will tell you the full names of both her parents, including her mother's maiden surname.

BTW the Scottish indexes usually include full middle names. I find it surprising (and very inconvenient) that after 1911 until about 1975 you only get initials in the English indexes.

I noticed that Isabella Heron had a middle name McAught... so I took a look for a marriage between a Heron and a McAught... Lo and behold, William Heron married Isabella McAughtrie in New Cumnock in 1911. There are five other Heron births in New Cumnock with middle name McAughtrie
Thomas, 1912 (died 1988, New Cumnock)
Robert 1914 (died 1982, New Cumnock)
Mary H 1918
Sarah 1920 (died 1920, new Cumnock)
Sarah C 1925

And three births of Herons without middle names
Margaret 1916
Janet 1919
Alexander 1927

I speculate that Isabella McAughtrie Heron was a sister of the other Herons who had the middle name McAughtrie, and therefore that her parents were William Heron and Sarah McAughtrie.

Did any of Isabella's children have the middle name McAughtrie?

Noting that William and Sarah's marriage reference number is 30, i.e. theirs was the 30th marriage registered in New Cumnock in 1911, and that there were 31 marriage registered in 1911 in New Cumnock, William and Sarah must have been married towards the end of the year, so there is no point in looking for them as a couple in the 1911 census.

Unlike in England, the deaths of married women are indexed by both their maiden and their married name. (The English records don't record mothers' names on either marriage or death certificates, and English death certificates don't even name the father of the deceased. I find this surprising).

Sarah McAughtrie or Heron, aged 72, died in Dumfries in 1965. As this is more than 50 years ago, you can view her death certificate online for 6 credits (£1.50)

So IF you think that your Isabella was the daughter of William Heron and Sarah McAughtrie, you can very easily work back a generation or two from her parents without needing Isabella's birth certificate. On the other hand, you might prefer to get Isabella's birth certificate, just to be sure that she was their daughter.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
One more question.

Does ScottishPeople website have a complete list of all Births and Marriages?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Does ScottishPeople website have a complete list of all Births and Marriages?
Scotland's People is part of the General Register Office for Scotland, the government agency that records (among other things) all births, deaths and marriages in Scotland. Registration was mandatory from 1855 onwards, so in theory every birth, marriage and death in Scotland since 1855 is there.

There might be the odd one that, in definace of the law, was not registered - I have one marriage I cannot find, even though I know the date and place of it as stated on the couple's daughter's birth certificate - but one thing is certain: if it isn't on Scotland's People there is no other place where you will find it. (It's much simpler than in England, where registration wasn't mandatory until 1872, and you needed to know which church a marriage was in in order to find a record.)

Also, almost all of the pre-1855 registers of the Church of Scotland are held by Scotland's People, and they also have access to all the Roman Catholic and many of the Free Kirk registers, so again you don't generally need to traipse round individual churches looking for registers unless your relatives were members of the Episcopal Church or one of the dissident sects whose registers are not available on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.