Author Topic: Obituary lookup in Glasgow  (Read 1676 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Obituary lookup in Glasgow
« on: Friday 05 May 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

My Great Grandmother, Annie (Wilson) Burns died in Glasgow (Rosebery Street) August 9, 1961. I don't know if she has an obituary somewhere that might lead to more information about all of her children or where she is buried. I know her son Arthur was living with her in Glasgow and is the informant on her death certificate. I have birth certificates and info on her children but not all of their marriage info. Thank you very much for any information, Barbara Baxter
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary lookup in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Barbara, I have PMd you we have a relation in common.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
If you search on www.scotlandspeople for deaths of Wilsons, mother's maiden surname Burns, you will get 71 hits. You should be able to match some of them to the birth information you have.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
If you search on www.scotlandspeople for deaths of Wilsons, mother's maiden surname Burns, you wiil get 71 hits. You should be able to match some of them to the birth information you have.

Thank you very much for the reply. The daughter I am looking for left Scotland for Belfast so that is my problem. Don't know her married name.
I have been looking for an obit for Annie Burns just in case it mentions her daughter Ellen Burns but so far no luck. Posted in the Belfast section also but this is a tough one, Thank you, Barbara Baxter
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Some Glasgow newspapers are on Google newspapers. The problem is you have to skim through them aso they're not searchable.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, so far no luck there. I guess back then they didn't always post an obituary and when they did it looks like they are very brief with little information. Will keep looking and I know my cousin Jay is pretty good. Between the two of us we are solving some mysteries in our tree. Thank you again, Barbara

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Have you tried NI Direct for a marriage?

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

There are 3 marriages of an Ellen Burns in Belfast between 1921 and 1941
Husband McClatchey, 1927
Husband Loftus, 1935
Husband Garrett, 1941
and 8 other marriages of Ellen Burns in other registration districts in Northern Ireland in the same period.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
Will do. The family story is she married a policeman in Belfast, but problem is not sure if she used Burns or Wilson or Hannah as her surname. Ellen Hannah Burns or Wilson born 1918 in Rutherglen to widow Annie Burns-no father listed. Thank you very much, Barbara

Online mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 May 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Do you have a tree on Ancestry?  Just wanted to check before I gave you your own information from it!

Kind regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies