Author Topic: Tanners Lane Farm, near Emmer Green, Reading  (Read 970 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tanners Lane Farm, near Emmer Green, Reading
« on: Friday 05 May 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I can find out who was living at this farm in the 1911 census - The address is Tanners Lane Farm, Tanners Lane off Kidmore End Road which runs from Emmer Green north towards Chalkhouse Green.

When my father was just a few months old, so in 1909/10, the farmer there who was a relative came to visit them at Tilehurst near Reading and when throwing Dad up into the air dropped him breaking all of his toes leaving him severely handicapped for life.  When Dad was about 9 the farmer and his wife approached Dad's parents with a view to semi or fully adopting Dad as a way of compensation as they couldn't have children of their own.  Dad was taken to the farm but on seeing their bull said no way!  Unfortunately I can't remember the relationship, Dad died in 2000, and every avenue I try comes up with a dead end, all of Dad's parent's siblings don't seem to be the one - male or female. 

Edit - it's possible the farm was called by a different name then but Dad recognised it as such when it came on the market minus the farmland in the 1990s.

The current address is Tanners Farm, Tanners Lane, Chalkhouse Green according to Zoopla.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tanners Lane Farm, near Emmer Green, Reading
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
I've just answered my own question, using an arbitrary search criteria it's given me the answer after days of trying different things but the occupant's surname isn't one I've come across in the family before!  There's a widow as head of the family then two unmarried daughters 48 and 45 then a son 41 who's the farmer.

Lot's to research now to find a link to my father's parents.