Author Topic: Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson m.1828. Monikie and Dundee.  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
On checking SP for a marriage between my 4x great-grandparents Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson, two entries come up for 1828. One dated, 26/11/1828 in Monikie and the other dated 12/12/1828 in Dundee.

Before I go ahead and order a copy of these extracts is it likely that both of these are the same people given the names and close proximity of the dates.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson m.1828. Monikie and Dundee.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
On checking SP for a marriage between my 4x great-grandparents Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson, two entries come up for 1828. One dated, 26/11/1828 in Monikie and the other dated 12/12/1828 in Dundee.
Before I go ahead and order a copy of these extracts is it likely that both of these are the same people given the names and close proximity of the dates.
Yes. What it tells you is that at the time of the marriage one of them lived in Dundee and the other in Monikie.

The pre-1855 records are from the parish registers and they are in fact the records of proclamation of banns, rather than of the marriage ceremony itself. If follows that if they lived in different parishes the banns would have to be proclaimed in both parishes, and this is why there are apparently two records of the same marriage.

Do *not* attempt to 'order an extract'. You can view digital images of both entries online on the SP web site. They will cost you 6 credits each, total £3. 'Ordering an extract' will tell you nothing different, and will cost you much more than £3. (On reflection, I am not even sure you can actually 'order an extract' of a pre-1855 parish register listing.)

Be aware that the records of proclamation of banns are unlikely to tell you the names of the couple's parents. For that you would need to get their death certificates, assuming they died in Scotland after 1855. These should tell you the full names of their parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
Yes. What it tells you is that at the time of the marriage one of them lived in Dundee and the other in Monikie.

The pre-1855 records are from the parish registers and they are in fact the records of proclamation of banns, rather than of the marriage ceremony itself. If follows that if they lived in different parishes the banns would have to be proclaimed in both parishes, and this is why there are apparently two records of the same marriage.

Do *not* attempt to 'order an extract'. You can view digital images of both entries online on the SP web site. They will cost you 6 credits each, total £3. 'Ordering an extract' will tell you nothing different, and will cost you much more than £3. (On reflection, I am not even sure you can actually 'order an extract' of a pre-1855 parish register listing.)

Be aware that the records of proclamation of banns are unlikely to tell you the names of the couple's parents. For that you would need to get their death certificates, assuming they died in Scotland after 1855. These should tell you the full names of their parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Thanks for confirming that Forfarian.

I think I made an error in what I was trying to say. I had just meant the . section rather than "ordering an extract". I'd used the wrong terminology there. My apologies.

I think I'll not bother wasting credits on viewing this entry given that not much information is presented in them.

By the 1871 census Christina is shown as widowed at "Chrispanhall Connonsyth", Carmyllie Parish.
 (This looks grossly mis-transcribed on findmypast and ancestry, I live near the area and have heard of nothing like this place?).

Alexander is in the 1851 at "Crispon Hall of Cononsyth". So this is the same place. Still it's not familiar to me?

I think the Alexander Guild that died aged 62 in 1869 in Carmyllie is the same man. So I will go ahead and view this image on SP.

Thanks again. But I don't suppose you have any clues as to this "Crispon Hall of Cononsyth" at all?

Jill.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
Never mind, the death certificate has answered the 'Crispanhall' issue.

It's written as Christian Hall on his death cert.  ::)

Parents listed as Alexander Guild. Salmon Fisher.

and Jane (can't make it out yet). Looks like Morgan.

He died due to chronic inflammation of the liver on 27th August 1869. Perhaps a wee alcohol problem there?
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Jill, with the parents you now have for Alexander, this looks to also be a sister for him www.genealogy.com/ftm/m/c/k/James-Fergusson-Mckellican/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0239.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Alexander's 1806 birth here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYNJ-QGQ

Monica

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
The Arbroath Herald has a 1906 death notice entry which has deceased's address as Christian Hall, Cononsyth.

Cononsyth

Cononsyth Mansion was built in the early nineteenth century for the proprietor of Cononsyth Estate, consisting of the Home Farm, North Mains, Mid-Mains, South Mains, the Ditch and Smithyton.

per http://www.carmyllieheritage.co.uk/mansionhouses.html .

So, perhaps it was a 'tied' house, on the estate, for workers.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
I think I'll not bother wasting credits on viewing this entry given that not much information is presented in them.
If you can get to Dundee Public Library, Forfar Public Library or the Tay Valley Family History Shop, you should be able to view the originals on microfilm

This looks grossly mis-transcribed on findmypast and ancestry
Both (and especially Ancestry) notorious for mistranscriptions. Viewing the originals, either on SP or on microfilm in one of the aforementioned places would be better.

I've heard of Cononsyth, of course, but I have no idea what the significance of Christian Hall is. I took a look at the New Statistical Account of Carmyllie at
http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/nsa-vol11-Parish_record_for_Carmylie_in_the_county_of_Forfar_in_volume_11_of_account_2/?search=carmylie
but found nothing about it.

You can get liver inflammation for other reasons than alcohol!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Scotmum, from what you mention, the SP 1855 Valuation Rolls show:

Alexander GOLD (Guild?)
Tenant Occupier
CHRISTIAN HALL PENDICLE ESTATE OF CONONSYTH
CARMYLLIE
VR008800001

Monica

Added: The 1865 VRs show Alexander Gold at PENDICLE CHRISTIANHILL ESTATE OF CONONSYTH