Author Topic: Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson m.1828. Monikie and Dundee.  (Read 3768 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Guild and Christina Davidson m.1828. Monikie and Dundee.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 May 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Dundee Courier, 1934, mentions:

Pendicles for Sale. FORFARSHIRE—CONONSYTH ESTATE. The pendicles of christianhill and SUMMERHILL, Cononsyth, in the Parish of Carmyllie and County of Angus, presently occupied by John Arbuthnott, are to Let together
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 May 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
pendicle n. 1. a piece of land or property forming a subsidiary to an estate
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 May 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Summerhill http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.6130&lon=-2.7170&layers=5&b=1 but I still haven't found Christianhill.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the information you've provided here.

@Forfarian
I can get to those places. I'm currently living in Arbroath. I wasn't aware Dundee Library (I take it you mean the central library in the Wellgate?) and Forfar Library had family history resources. Brilliant! I will be sure to check this out. And Tay Valley Family History (it's the one at the bottom of Albert Street right?).

@Monica
Yes those look to be the correct records in relation to Alexander. I've added his sibling to my tree and his birth parish etc. Thank you.

With regards to the Alexander Gold mentioned in Valuation Rolls. I do think this to be the same person. I did some light googling in regards to the surname "Guild" to get a basic idea of its origins and locations it was found and there is some relation to it being known as "Gold" at times. Definitely think this is Alexander Guild.

@Scotmum
Thank you for the references to Christian hall that you provided. Very useful!

@everyone
Out of curiosity does anyone know how the information for valuation rolls was gathered? Was it perhaps the proprietor that gave the information of their tenants to someone (a tax man?) or was it more like the census where they visited each property? I have a feeling it's a mis-transcribe there or the proprietor gave the wrong information with regards to Alexander. 

I've not had much luck in tracking down Christian Hall either. I've looked at old maps on Digimap, I have access to their historical and other collections through an educational account and there is no trace of Christian Hall/Hill anywhere near Cononsyth. I've seen Summerhill however.  ???

It's definitely noted as Christanhall on the death cert of Alexander. See image below.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Jill

post images

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 May 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Jill, some background notes on Valuation Rolls www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/valuation-rolls

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 May 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Jill, some background notes on Valuation Rolls www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/valuation-rolls

Monica  :)

Thank you Monica. :)
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline nzvickie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 20 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I am connected to Christian Davidson (1807-30/12/1890. Died at Maryton, Inverkeilor) who married Alexander Guild (1807-27/8/1869) died in Carmyllie. As you said married 1828
Christian is a twin.  Parents Andrew Davidson and Christian Petrie of Murroes
1851 Census
St Vigeans
Address: Grange Of Conon Cotterhouse   
        GUILD       Jane       Dau       -       F       11       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Betsy       Dau       -       F       9       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Thomas       Son       -       M       7       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Peter       Son       -       M       5       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 December 20 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I am connected to Christian Davidson (1807-30/12/1890. Died at Maryton, Inverkeilor) who married Alexander Guild (1807-27/8/1869) died in Carmyllie. As you said married 1828
Christian is a twin.  Parents Andrew Davidson and Christian Petrie of Murroes
1851 Census
St Vigeans
Address: Grange Of Conon Cotterhouse   
        GUILD       Jane       Dau       -       F       11       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Betsy       Dau       -       F       9       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Thomas       Son       -       M       7       Scholar        Angus - Dundee   
        GUILD       Peter       Son       -       M       5       Scholar        Angus - Dundee

Hi, thanks for this information. I didn't notice that she was a twin. Fascinating.

Alexander Guild and Christian/Christina Davidson are my maternal 4x ggrandparents. Their daughter Jane is my ancestor.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie