Author Topic: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,  (Read 10056 times)

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Would it be worth eliminating:

1885/17710 Caroline Richardson mother Emily, father NR

This is a New Zealand Birth, and there is a Brighton in New Zealand (near Dunedin).s
yes, definitely eliminate this one
Adoption document clearly said Caroline Richardson aged 27 born in Brighton England

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Is this the family you found.

1891 822/82/2

Henry Richardson 31 yrs
Catherine Richardson   35 yrs
George Richardson 14 yrs
Kate Richardson   9 yrs
Henry Richardson 7 yrs
Caroline Richardson 4 yrs b West Brighton, Sussex
Albert Richardson 2 yrs

As has been said, how sure are you that the details you give are your Caroline?

Regards
Heywood
yes, this is the one we found. The man at the Brighton council records also found this one,and being the only one that fitted the dates and information given

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering why, if Caroline was born the 3rd child and her mother didn't die until she was 12, why she was adopted? Could she have been sent to NZ from a Children's Home, and if so were her siblings with her? Might be worth checking passenger lists.

Kiwi25 posted and then went offline.

If she's in NZ, she probably went to bed.  ;D ;D
it wasn't Caroline who was adopted. Caroline was my mother's mother. Caroline had my mother at Alexandra Home for unmarried mothers in Wellington, New Zealand, on 12th May 1912

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
seems a huge coincidence that there was a Caroline Richardson birth in NZ in 1885. Given that Caroline Louisa born 1886, doesn't seem to have left UK, I think this other one  merits further investigation.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Only information we have is on adoption papers for my mother (discovered when her adoptive parents died) says "Caroline Richardson, 27, born in Brighton, England. Have ordered her birth certificate and read the entry of her birth in a handwritten register. Her father was Henry (bricklayer) and her mother was Catherine (née Batt). Siblings were Frederick, Albert, Kate.
Would really appreciate help  regarding any marriages, births, deaths of Caroline's siblings.

My mother (Caroline's daughter) was born in a home for unmarried mothers in Wellington, New Zealand) on 1st May 1912

I have read this over & over as well as reading all replies & I'm still confused!

I understand from the wording that your mother was adopted.
Her 'biological' mother (who was not adopted) was Caroline Richardson daughter of Henry Richardson & Catherine Batt.

If this is correct, is it not true that you are actually researching the 'biological' family of your mother rather than the biological family of your g/mother?

The way it's worded is as though your g/mother was adopted as well as your mother!

Can you please clarify it's the family/ancestors of Caroline Richardson, parents Henry & Catherine Batt you want to trace  ???

Annie

Added, Was Caroline Richardson 27 yrs old in 1912 when your mother was adopted & how old was your mother when she was adopted?

If your mother was adopted very soon after birth this would mean her mother Caroline was born c1885 (is this correct)?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
Can you give more detail about the information on the adoptation file . Does the  " Caroline 27 born Brighton   " 
look to be contemporary with the original file...added later...same handwriting.......witten in ink, pencil, ballpoint pen...
Can you give all the name, date, address details on the adoption file, without identifying your family.

What  is the name of the hospital where your mother was born. Wellington hospital for unmarried mothers is not finding anything on an internet search. If it was a hospital for poor woman, but not exclusively unmarried women, Caroline might be a married woman....living in defacto relationship etc. Age 27 is rather older than average for first birth in 1912 so possibly earlier births for Caroline. What age was baby at adoption.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:38 BST (UK) »

This is my understanding -

Caroline had a daughter in 1912 in Wellington.

Daughter was adopted

Adoption document includes  the age and birthplace detail about Caroline.

Using this detail, the family of Henry Richardson has be identified to be her family, and is now being researched. 

I am asking for more information about the adoption document, and specifically the detail about the Brighton, England, birthplace, because the origins of this detail are important.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
seems a huge coincidence that there was a Caroline Richardson birth in NZ in 1885. Given that Caroline Louisa born 1886, doesn't seem to have left UK, I think this other one  merits further investigation.
Isobel

I think this would be worth checking - it might have been assumed that it was Brighton UK.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
What  is the name of the hospital where your mother was born. Wellington hospital for unmarried mothers is not finding anything on an internet search. If it was a hospital for poor woman, but not exclusively unmarried women, Caroline might be a married woman....living in defacto relationship etc. Age 27 is rather older than average for first birth in 1912 so possibly earlier births for Caroline. What age was baby at adoption.

See post 29 - Alexandra Hospital for unmarried mothers.