Author Topic: Stained glass window depicting The Pathfinder painting  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Stained glass window depicting The Pathfinder painting
« on: Saturday 06 May 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist me please?
Our church is commemorating the death 100 years ago in June of Ernest Stafford Carlos, who painted the famous Pathfinder Scout painting, the original of which is kept at Gilwell Park. This painting is depicted in his memory in a stained-glass window in our church. https://www.facebook.com/Holy-Cross-Church-Hornchurch-463618100370962/?fref=nf
I am collecting images of other stained glass depictions of the painting for a leaflet to be given out at a special service commemorating the life and works of Carlos. In the book ‘Painting in Ernest’ by Steven Harris, he mentions that there is another stained glass window in St Seriol’s Church, Holyhead.

I know this church has been demolished, but wondered if you had any idea where this window is now, and how I could get a photo of it please? 

Thanks,
Mary

Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Stained glass window depicting The Pathfinder painting
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think this may be it. I was thinking it would have been more faithful to the original painting, but this is similar to the one in Manchester, which was 'inspired by' the painting. I had seen this one in my searches but hadn't linked it with Holyhead. Thanks so much!
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
No problem
you have quite a job to do, as there must be many similar images in the UK, let alone abroad
Good luck in your search
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I have found fourteen so far, 9 in the UK, four in Canada and one in New Zealand. One of the Canadian ones has recently been sold to Minnesota (prompted in part I believe by my research once the owner realised how valuable it was!) :) See article at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/pathfinder-window-sold-1.4066518

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
I can't help you I'm afraid, but if you already have a number of them, might it be worth listing them here so people know where not to look?  :)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks, I think the problem is solved as I'm pretty sure the window at St Cybi is the one from St Seriol's. Any additional information welcome.
Thanks
Mary

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 May 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/1970
Commissioned and installed in the Church of St Seiriol, Holyhead, and reset here in 1998, following the closure and demolition of St Seiriol's.
I have written to the vicar to ask for a photo and information. Thanks everyone!

Offline dcriggott

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Our company D.C. Riggott Inc. Owns the Pathfinder Window that came out of St. Johns New Brunswick. You can read the article written about it here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/pathfinder-window-sold-1.4066518

And see our website listing here:

https://www.dcriggott.com/extremely-rare-historic-pathfinder-stained-glass-window-depicting-christ-with-boyscout