Author Topic: Stained glass window depicting The Pathfinder painting  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Stained glass window depicting The Pathfinder painting
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information and for replying. I wondered what had happened to this window and would be interested to know where it ends up.

As a matter of interest, the information you have on this window is actually mistaken: "This one-of-a-kind window is a sister window to the only other one available in the world, which was housed in England until that church was bombed during the 2nd world war and the sister was destroyed."

There are many other windows like this one, of which I have now found 12, of which 7 are in the UK. The one referred to here is actually the one in our church, Holy Cross Church Hornchurch. In a leaflet complied more than 20 years ago our window was listed as probably having being bombed out as it could not be found in the parish church of Hornchurch, St Andrew's. However, it was safe and sound in the daughter church of Hornchurch, Holy Cross. This mistake was realised when our window was restored after having being broken into, and our window was 'rediscovered'. I'm attaching a photo of our Pathfinder window, which we believe is the most faithful depiction of the original painting of all the Pathfinder windows in existence.

I can send you my information about all the other Pathfinder windows I have found if you like,
Regards
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.