Author Topic: The Elusive George Henry Hawkins  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive George Henry Hawkins
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 May 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
Possibly a coincidence but a George Henry Hawkins enlisted in the Royal Engineers in 1895 & bought himself out on 11 Sept 1896 - the exact date of birth   the day before the birth of your George Henry Hawkins.

Born Otterbourne, Nr Winchester and was aged 22 years & 11 months when he enlisted in Jan 1895, occupation Bricklayer.

On enlistment it said he was still living in the home of his father, but Next of Kin was listed as his mother, Ann Blowes of Otterbourne.

Service record shows him in South Africa 16 May 1896 to 11 Sep 1896.

If this is your George Henry's father then possibly he wasn't married to the mother at the time GHH was born, in which case he would be registered under a different surname.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline needleinhaystack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot, gosh, how did you find out all that?! I think this is a good lead. You have given me a few avenues to go down. Think I'll try looking through some censuses, 1901 I think, and see who was living with the George Hawkins' mother, incase the baby George was there. The parents not being married would fit with the lack of a birth record. Thank you for your detective work

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 May 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat.

What was his fathers name. 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 May 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Yes, I saw you'd already asked for his father's name, but as it hadn't been answered I assumed the OP had missed the question so I asked again.  Unfortunately we still don't have an answer.....
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline needleinhaystack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 May 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry for missing the question. On both marriage certificates George Henry hawkins's father is down as George Henry Hawkins, Sargent in the Royal engineers, deceased. This fits Jomots findings. I shall have to dig deeper. Thank you

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
The parents not being married would fit with the lack of a birth record.

Not being married has nothing to do with registering a birth. A penalty not exceeding £2 was introduced in Section 39 of the 1874 Registration of Births & Deaths Act, for the non-registration of a birth (the wording of the Act is actually for “failing to give information concerning the birth…….. as required by the said Acts”).

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 May 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Ignore - Im not awake yet!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 May 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Yes, I saw you'd already asked for his father's name, but as it hadn't been answered I assumed the OP had missed the question so I asked again.  Unfortunately we still don't have an answer.....

I was also thinking OP had missed the question  ;D  Not sure that the info has helped though. 

I did try searching for a George Henry ....... bn Farnham reg district Sep & Dec qtr 1896 but the only one that came up was a George Henry Stubbs - parents George & Elizabeth (nee Westlake).  Do you think I can find them later to totally eliminate them  ::)   The trouble with birth registrations in that area is they could be Army and gone abroad.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 May 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
I did try searching for a George Henry ....... bn Farnham reg district Sep & Dec qtr 1896 but the only one that came up was a George Henry Stubbs - parents George & Elizabeth (nee Westlake).  Do you think I can find them later to totally eliminate them  ::)

Yes, they are in Portsmouth in the last census.

(... just watching from the wings)