Author Topic: Re: Henry Legge 1794-1864  (Read 779 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Legge 1794-1864
« on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
I am resurrecting this topic that I first put to the forum 6 years ago and at that time I had no success. I am hoping that a fresh approach might crack my problem, which is essentially, establishing who his parents were. Unfortunately, there are at lease a couple of Henry Legg/e's, which makes it difficult to know, whether you have the correct one. Henry Legge is my 3x GG.
I am trying to locate the above who was born in Cattistock, Dorset, but moved to Hampshire, as in 1841 he was a Miller, at Broughton Mill, Hampshire. I can find no trace of him in the 1851 Census, though I have found his 2nd Wife and family, living at: Square, St Maurice, Winchester. His Wife Mary Ann, was a seamstress and his son John Henry (from his 1st marriage, to a Sarah Smith from Beaminster, is my GG Grandfather) was a tailor.

I have found Henry in the 1861 Census, described as a Miller, Pauper at the Union Workhouse, Clifton Mount, Weeke, Winchester, but cannot find him there in 1851. Is it possible, that there was another Workhouse in Winchester, that I should check? Any assistance, would be much appreciated. Strangely, in the Parish of St John, Winchester, Register of Apprentices, Henry is listed under the Church Wardens as Overseer of the Poor!

I am desperately trying to establish that my Henry was born in Cattistock and that his parents were David Legg/e and Elizabeth Howe. Any help in proving this would be much appreciated.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Bapt. 21/4/1794 Cattistock Henry -  parents David & Elizabeth

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Bapt. 21/4/1794 Cattistock Henry -  parents David & Elizabeth

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
My apologies, but I know of that birth record, but what I do not know, is whether it is the Henry, who married Sarah Smith and subsequently Mary Ann Gillingham. I need somehow  to link the one born to David and Elizabeth, through some evidential link, to preferably Sarah who died in 1829, or her children- John Henry, Louisa, Betsy, Sarah Ann, and William E.